2001 Elantra, dies occaisionally but starts right up and goes ????

sjames105
07-20-2010, 05:23 AM
I recently bought an 01 Elantra for my daughter. Seems like a nice little car but it has a few bugs. First, it's impossible to fill the gas tank at a normal rate, it keeps spitting the gas back. I checked the EVAP system and found a kinked hose. That helped a little but still have to fill slowly. Next is the problem with the car shutting down at random. The car dies but restarts right away. sometimes at idle, sometimes at 40 miles an hour, it just shuts down. The only error code is a P0450, EVAP system. I have disconnected the hoses and can blow through the canister so I know it's not plugged. Has anyone had a similar problem? Sooner or later I figure I'll have to take it to the dealer but it's hard when you don't have the $79 an hour they charge, and even worse when your dealing with a clown that really doesn't know any more about it then you do, just that they have the diagnostic tools that tell them what to change. cars us

sjames105
07-21-2010, 02:20 AM
The problem is now getting worse, the car will die at any time (especially when it's hot) and has to cool off before it will restart, maybe the part will finally fail completely.

Add your comment to this topic!