A Couple of issues with my 2001 Passport

su_jumptd
07-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Hello all,
I know some of these problems have already been asked so to save myself the endless searching please point me the right direction. If not, any help would be appropriated.

1st issue: When doing regular driving the vehicle just seems too spongy, swayie, guess what I'm trying to say is that when I make a turn the vehicle leans too much or when I go over a dip or bump it feels really springy. Almost like it has no shocks at all. Feel like I'm driving a circus clown care on springs only. I've checked the tire pressure, installed new shocks.....what could be causing this. Would like it to feel much more firm during everyday driving.

2nd issue: Every time I stop at a traffic like or stop sign and let go of the break to proceed I hear a big load "cur-clunck" every time, like if something is loose or ready to fall off.

3rd issue: Every time I leave to work or move my care from it being parked I see a little puddle of water and some drips as I pull out of my driveway. This happens no matter how long I have it parked there.

Thanks in advance.

labrea
07-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Hello all,
I know some of these problems have already been asked so to save myself the endless searching please point me the right direction. If not, any help would be appropriated.

1st issue: When doing regular driving the vehicle just seems too spongy, swayie, guess what I'm trying to say is that when I make a turn the vehicle leans too much or when I go over a dip or bump it feels really springy. Almost like it has no shocks at all. Feel like I'm driving a circus clown care on springs only. I've checked the tire pressure, installed new shocks.....what could be causing this. Would like it to feel much more firm during everyday driving.
My rodeo does same as yours but I know mine shocks are bad..

2nd issue: Every time I stop at a traffic like or stop sign and let go of the break to proceed I hear a big load "cur-clunck" every time, like if something is loose or ready to fall off.
Mine too!, sounds like transmission..

3rd issue: Every time I leave to work or move my care from it being parked I see a little puddle of water and some drips as I pull out of my driveway. This happens no matter how long I have it parked there.
Maybe A/C?

Thanks in advance.

See above

su_jumptd
07-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info, response below.

My rodeo does same as yours but I know mine shocks are bad..
Don't think this is the problem, got new shocks installed.

Mine too!, sounds like transmission..
I don't think its the trans, my guess would be something to do with the drive shaft.....maybe.

Maybe A/C? Don't think its the A/C...I checked and the drip is coming from the front and just left of the engine.

labrea
07-20-2010, 12:18 PM
check this link may help you
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4669
I will try to fix mine myself

amigo-2k
07-22-2010, 12:04 PM
1. it is the shocks. the OEM shocks are spongy on Isuzu's. I replaced mine at 55k and have any no issues since (also take a look at your tire-pressure. an extra 5 lbs will help to stiffen it up a little).

2. Clunk, it is the slip joint in the drive shaft. You can clean it up and relube it, but within 6 months it will be back. It isn't doing an damage. I had mine repacked at 40k and now I have ~100k and it clunks ...

3. If you run the AC or defrost it is normal. If you are worried it is antifreeze just watch the over flow tank.

Finally keep an eye on your oil! check it at every fill up or every 500 miles. Isuzu's will magically eat oil (highway driving they eat more).

labrea
07-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Finally keep an eye on your oil! check it at every fill up or every 500 miles. Isuzu's will magically eat oil (highway driving they eat more).

Yesterday, I figured out transmission was leaking.. I went to shop, bought oil, filter and gasket from autozone for $60 paid $40 labor and fixed.. and also I checked engine oil... almost empty!! I had to add 3qt oil, what a hungry truck!

and It still has whistle when it`s on D or R.. (maybe manifold gasket?)
still needs stocks..
still needs work on drive shaft..
needs needs needs..

amigo-2k
07-22-2010, 12:18 PM
here is where I bought my shocks:

http://www.a-1shocks.com/

Then I took them to the dealer to install (charged me 100).

the Whistle could be a gasket, but the truck would run a bit ruff.

I've had buzzing sounds that were from of the heat shields on the exhaust (the clamps broke so I just removed the shields.)

labrea
07-22-2010, 12:26 PM
here is where I bought my shocks:

http://www.a-1shocks.com/

Then I took them to the dealer to install (charged me 100).

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-37159-Sensa-Trac-Light-Absorber/dp/B000C53R62
37.70 each and free 2nd day shipping..
each one 5 bucks cheaper than a-1shocks.

my shop said can replace each one for $30.

su_jumptd
07-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys for all the input.

I've changed the shocks already....actually installed the sears Monroe high dollar ones, didn't make a lick of difference....I'm thinking the springs are completely shot...can anyone confirm that by pass experiences?

Okay, the dripping.....really doubt its coming form the A/C. I've looked at the area where the free-on is (usually where the condensation collects and drains through a hose. This water drip is coming from the front of the motor just to the left....my guess is that its the water pump starting to go bad. Again, can anyone confirm this by past experiences?

The Cur-Clunk sound.....I thinking you guys are right....am going to re-grease the drive shaft see it that help.

labrea
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
is it easy to grease shaft? can I do myself?

jeffchandler
07-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Those rear shocks are a son-ofa-gun to get out. There is very little room to get that top nut off the top of the shock. And, the nut is certainly rusted on there. I did it the old fashioned way--I crunched the old shock in to a pair of vice grips to keep it from moving, then turned the top nut 1/8 turn at a time. Only took an hour, or so. But....once I installed new Monroe shocks, the car drove like new.

Add your comment to this topic!