Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Issue...interesting?

tirwin88
07-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Ok after all of these issues I have been having lately here is the newest one.

About 6 months ago I had my ignition switch changed out because for some odd reason when you turned the truck off and took the key out the motor will still run! Then when you tapped on the brake it would shut off. However the battery would still drain. Well the issue turned out to actually be the brake light switch was bad. Fixed that and the issue stopped.

Well just recently when I go to turn my ignition it sometimes does nothing and I have to hit it again to make it start. I am thinking when my daughter's bf changed it he didnt adjust something correctly. Now today and the other day when I went to put the car in Park from Drive the entire automatic shifter top was loose. I could turn it completely but not the stick itself. It was stuck in Drive. I kept wiggling the top part and then something locked into place and it wouldnt turn anymore and the car went right into Park. The friend who has been working on my truck said he feels this is tied to the ignition and feels something is loose in there. He said it could be tied to the brake light switch as well but is more confident it is in the ignition due to the fact that my daughter's bf did the work. :) Any ideas?

emt1134
07-25-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm going to take a stab at this...

1) Ask your daughter's bf to reinspect his work at the ignition switch...if you are lucky, he may have simply misaligned something...
2) Ask you daughter's bf if he touched the shifter at all when he was doing the work... there is a high probability of the answer to this question being "no", as you do not need to remove any portion of the center console to access the ignition switch...
3) there is a little screw which secures the shifter handle to shaft portion...it is not uncommon for this little screw to become loose, and cause the problem you are having with your shifter... this is any easy fix, and your daughter's bf should be able to accomplish the task of tightening the screw, given that he has a special set of bits called "torx bits"...

hope my sampling of deductive reasoning helps a bit lol...

tirwin88
10-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Thanks! Just saw this and I will definately have him look at this! I have just been making do with it all. :)

Add your comment to this topic!