Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission fluid change question

pp270
07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
I changed the fluid on the transmission. Does the filter have an inlet seal that also needs to be replaced or does the new filter just slide into place? The new filter came with a bushing, but their wasn't a bushing that came off the old filter so I didn't use it.

tblake
07-19-2010, 10:17 AM
The old seal probably stayed in the trans. They can be a pain to get out sometimes. I usually have to collapse them inward with a screwdriver to get the old ones out.

If your new filter went in with some resistance, the old seal is probably fine still.

pp270
07-19-2010, 12:07 PM
It did as I had to lightly tap the new filter on with a hammer. Sounds like I should be fine then.

Thanks

rubberman
06-25-2011, 11:46 PM
The filter that was in the pan the only fluid you drained from the tranny? i havent changed transmission fluid for a long time and the last time i did i went thru each gear for 3 secs to spit out any extra fluid. is that needed or whatever drains when you take the pan off fine?

GregGP
06-26-2011, 03:46 AM
It's fine to just take off the pan. You shouldn't run it at all with the pan off. Even when you do take the pan off, you only get about 3/4 of the fluid out anyway. There is still some fluid in the torque converter, radiator, etc..

The filter that was in the pan the only fluid you drained from the tranny? i havent changed transmission fluid for a long time and the last time i did i went thru each gear for 3 secs to spit out any extra fluid. is that needed or whatever drains when you take the pan off fine?

Add your comment to this topic!