Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil mixup =(

TDWPgtp
07-18-2010, 07:30 PM
so i managed to purchase and put in 2 quarts of the right oil (10w30) and 2 quarts of the wrong oil (5w20). now i dont feel like changing it all and buying new oil again so i was wondering if this mix is ok to drive with. does it actually make that big of a difference or will i be ok until the next oil change comes around? thanks in advance

tblake
07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
5w20 is pretty thin stuff.

But 2 plus 2 doesn't add up. Oil capacity on a 3800 after a filter change is 4.5 quarts. Do you have the right amount in there?

MagicRat
07-18-2010, 07:51 PM
From what I have read, a mix of otherwise-compatible oils will result in a weight that is approximately proportional, in this case, about 7.5 W 30.

IMO if you really care about the car, drain it and put the right stuff in. If you drain into a clean container, the old oil can be reused in stuff that is not so important, like lawnmowers etc.

If this were wintertime, I would say just leave the thin stuff in there, but in summer the extra viscosity is useful.

jakegday
07-19-2010, 06:35 AM
From what I have read, a mix of otherwise-compatible oils will result in a weight that is approximately proportional, in this case, about 7.5 W 30.

shouldnt it be 7.5w25?

if it were me, i MIGHT let it stay in if it was winter. right now though, not a chance. im not saying it will hurt anything, but oils cheap, i personally would just sleep better at night

TDWPgtp
07-19-2010, 12:56 PM
5w20 is pretty thin stuff.

But 2 plus 2 doesn't add up. Oil capacity on a 3800 after a filter change is 4.5 quarts. Do you have the right amount in there?

oo wow. at some point, a mechanic wrote 4.0 quarts near the oil cap, so i assumed thats what it took. ill make sure to put in 4.5 though. and i guess ill change it all again since everyone seems to have the same opinion.

i wasnt sure because the guys in the machine shop at my dads work said that it shouldnt really make a difference over such a short change interval.

BNaylor
07-19-2010, 06:47 PM
There is no problem mixing the two different multi-viscosity oils stated. The alternate oil for a Series II 3800 engine is 5W-30 so the 5W-20 is close enough. You are not supposed to use oil like 20W-50.

GM has gone to 5W-30 in just about all their V6 and V8 engines now.

Also, gentlemen the oil capacity is and always has been 4.5 quarts with filter change as Tim stated.

Add your comment to this topic!