Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 denali head gasket job.

veyagus
07-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Has any one replaced the head gasket on thier denali? I rebuilt the motor but I am sure did not do a good job on torquing the bolts and just blew my gasket after about 1000 miles.. I Would rather have a professional do it this time I am just a little tight with money. this may sound strange but i was thinking that maybe if it was worth it, I can some how bring the cost down and Maybe disassembling it before it before bringing it in.

bcopeland
07-18-2010, 12:21 PM
You mean to tell me you did not use a torque wrench or did not know how to use it or did not "trust" it (I can "Amen" that last one). I think if you rebuilt the engine yourself, then the head gasket blew, you must have not done one or two steps right. So, now, why would you take it to a dealer and not try to redo it yourself?

veyagus
07-18-2010, 10:21 PM
well you know there is a first time for everything, and i am not afraid to try. i know how to use a torque wrench, but I was not sure about the last round of torquing when it says turn 55 degree more. I did my research and did my best. It was my first engine build ( not just a rebuild) and it started when i was finished. I was just happy about that.
I trusted my instinct and my ability to do it.. but it does not mean i did it 100% right. The reason I want to make sure it is done right and not take a chance of doing it wrong this time is because I am about to make a 3000 mile move from NJ to Cali this week. so dont want to have a brake down some where in between.

Add your comment to this topic!