Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 montana wipers

lindau2001
07-16-2010, 12:55 PM
the passenger door window control was defective and my husband temporally hooked up jumpers to raise and lower the window..yesterday my son put the window up but did not remove the jumpers after it was fully up.when he noticed this, the jumpers were very very hot..on the way home it started to rain and the wipers worked for a bit approx 30 minutes then went crazy ,had to tie a string to tug on the wiper blade to keep it going. now can't shut off the wipers and the speed control does not work,(it was really windy and heavy rain).also the gas hand is now acting strange.goes too high then works its way down but never gets correct. question do you think this is related to the jumpers (maybe melted some wires) or did the wipers break from the heavy wind and rain,(don't see how that could keep the wipers from shutting off)

dewaynep
07-19-2010, 12:16 PM
High winds can keep the wipers from "parking" if they are high enough. What you need to know is where were the jumpers connected to? It's possible and probably likely some wiring is fried.

rkvons
07-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Does the window still work? I think it's a coincidence that your wipers failed. Normally, if you hold the power window button down even after it is all the way up, the circuit will be interrupted by a thermal protection device. This device will cool back down and reconnect and then repeat indefinitely. This is basically what you were doing with the jumpers. The wire will get hot just as the motor probably did.

lindau2001
07-19-2010, 01:09 PM
the pass.door switch hat been removed and the jumpers placed in the plugin socket.if the over load is in the switch then it was not there.and yes the windows still works with the jumpers but the wipers are on all the time. well not now i've unplugged the wiper motor.i don't notice the gas hand problem now that may have been my imagination.

Add your comment to this topic!