1997 Chevy S10 2.2 Starts Then Dies

Logan76
07-16-2010, 02:01 AM
so i put a new crankshaft, main bearings, rod bearings and an oil pump in my s10. put the engine back in started up fine. let it idle for a while. then drove it around the block and it worked fine. my oil pressure was low but it was running fine and did not make any noise. and i know i had enough oil. so i parked it back in my drive way. the next day it started fine i let it idle and then turned it off and now it wont stay running. it will start if you put the gas peddle all the way on the floor but you have to hold it there and it only idles for about five seconds before dying. cleaned throttle body, and tps. have not a clue what to do now please help? i have read many posts about this problem but none seem to be the same as mine. also left battery unplugged over night to reset it. still no luck.

MT-2500
07-16-2010, 10:11 AM
so i put a new crankshaft, main bearings, rod bearings and an oil pump in my s10. put the engine back in started up fine. let it idle for a while. then drove it around the block and it worked fine. my oil pressure was low but it was running fine and did not make any noise. and i know i had enough oil. so i parked it back in my drive way. the next day it started fine i let it idle and then turned it off and now it wont stay running. it will start if you put the gas peddle all the way on the floor but you have to hold it there and it only idles for about five seconds before dying. cleaned throttle body, and tps. have not a clue what to do now please help? i have read many posts about this problem but none seem to be the same as mine. also left battery unplugged over night to reset it. still no luck.

Was the check engine light on when it was running?
Got fuel pressure?
Got good hot blue spark to all plugs?
Got good compression?
Make sure everything you unpluged to work on it is pluged back up good.

Logan76
07-18-2010, 02:36 AM
Was the check engine light on when it was running?
Got fuel pressure?
Got good hot blue spark to all plugs?
Got good compression?
Make sure everything you unpluged to work on it is pluged back up good.

checked all plugs and wiring. check engine light was not on while i was driving it. have good compression and spark to all plugs and fuel pressure because it starts and idles for like five seconds. i think the answer to my problem is in that i have to push the gas peddle all the way down for it to start. why is that? it wont start any other way.

MT-2500
07-18-2010, 09:34 AM
checked all plugs and wiring. check engine light was not on while i was driving it. have good compression and spark to all plugs and fuel pressure because it starts and idles for like five seconds. i think the answer to my problem is in that i have to push the gas peddle all the way down for it to start. why is that? it wont start any other way.

Something is not right.
Pushing gas down all of the way shuts off duel and puts it in a clear food mode.
Check for and clear codes and post back code no.

Logan76
07-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Something is not right.
Pushing gas down all of the way shuts off duel and puts it in a clear food mode.
Check for and clear codes and post back code no.

i reset the computer because i unpluged and pluged back in some sensors and tried to start it. so now it has no codes or lights triped. so now its back to the fuel, spark, and compression testing i guess?

Logan76
07-19-2010, 11:28 AM
i reset the computer because i unpluged and pluged back in some sensors and tried to start it. so now it has no codes or lights triped. so now its back to the fuel, spark, and compression testing i guess?

ok now it tripped my check engine light. so im just about to go get a scanner and se what the code is.

MT-2500
07-20-2010, 09:43 AM
ok now it tripped my check engine light. So im just about to go get a scanner and se what the code is.

post back code no.

Logan76
07-20-2010, 09:54 AM
post back code no.
ok so i got code P0121B, and P0121. this is my tp sensor right? should replace it and see what happens? but now that i cleared the codes they are not coming back also.

MT-2500
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
ok so i got code P0121B, and P0121. this is my tp sensor right? should replace it and see what happens? but now that i cleared the codes they are not coming back also.

Code do not say replace it.
But check it out.
It may take a while to reset codes.
The only true test on tps sensor is with a lab scope.
Volt ohm meter or good engine scanner will give you the voltage readings but will not show drop outs or glitz's in voltage.
But if it gives you any tps sensor codes or more problems replace it and adjust it when replaced.
Let us know how it goes.

Minimadness047
07-29-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 99 s10 with a 2.2L.i did the same as you pulled the engine and replaced the crank,bearings and oilpump.any update on what your problem is?I checked everything i thought of with mine heres a few things you can do check your fuel pressure regulator.there supposed to have about 15psi of vacuum to them at idle.also check your fuel pressure.its supposed to have 41+ psi and it supposed to drop 3-8psiwhen running if i'm not mistaken.

Add your comment to this topic!