Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

horn relay location 93 sport?

javatrooper
07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Horn itself works if hot wired. Ground switch in steering wheel works. So where is the damn horn relay and which fuse controls the horn. I have a shop manual for a 93 grand cherokee and it is totally different than my sport. Does that make any sense? Please help, I'm stumped.

javatrooper
07-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Okay, think it fuse #11, it's fine. Think I found relay center under instrument panel to right of steering column. The problem is that I only have 2 relays there and lots of empty slots. I just picked this car up so don't know if it's missing relays. Can someone describe the exact slot that the horn relay plugs into? Thanks

fredjacksonsan
07-16-2010, 05:10 AM
Sometimes not all slots are used on relays since they have multiple applications (car manufacturers use the same part in several vehicles sometimes, especially small electrical parts).

What you might try is to go to the auto parts store with the relay you found, and request the part that you're trying to replace...if they match you're in business.

I know I didn't answer your question directly, but I'm not one of the under dash guys.... hopefully they'll be along shortly.

javatrooper
07-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the input fredjacksonsan.

Here's how I figured it out for those in a similar situation. I pulled the entire relay panel free, and then opened up the back. I could immediately see that there was a missing relay. Then I looked at the wire running to the horn and saw it was green/red stripe.

Sure enough the missing relay had the green/red wire. Plugged in a rely and "horn". Before I pulled the back of the panel off, I thought there were only 2 relays wired. So make sure to snap it open to get a good view.

Aloha.

Add your comment to this topic!