Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 SL2 Not getting power

KrEEsToN
07-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Well basically every once in a while like every couple weeks or so the car wont get any power to the dome light, radio, chimes and fuel pump. i turn the key and i hear a click but no other sound. everything else gets power except those few things and of course the car wont start. its not the starter or battery. and after letting the car sit for a while, it could be a hour to a couple days and then it starts up just fine and runs fine for a couple few weeks til it happens again... what should i be looking at??

Ruley73
07-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Well basically every once in a while like every couple weeks or so the car wont get any power to the dome light, radio, chimes and fuel pump. i turn the key and i hear a click but no other sound. everything else gets power except those few things and of course the car wont start. its not the starter or battery. and after letting the car sit for a while, it could be a hour to a couple days and then it starts up just fine and runs fine for a couple few weeks til it happens again... what should i be looking at??

Without knowing anything else, I'm thinking it is most likely a bad ignition switch. If you do find a blown fuse try replacing it and see what happens first before replacing the ignition switch. You could have a short elsewhere, but the ignition switch commonly shorts out when they fail in these cars. This is a common issue with the S-Series.

KrEEsToN
07-15-2010, 09:06 PM
k i checked some fuses and the one for the horn was blown i put another one in and it blew it right away so a short then? but would that have to do with everything else?

Ruley73
07-15-2010, 11:32 PM
k i checked some fuses and the one for the horn was blown i put another one in and it blew it right away so a short then? but would that have to do with everything else?

Yes, sounds like you have a short in the horn circuit. Chances are it is isolated to that circuit and not anything else so it is a separate issue.

Add your comment to this topic!