Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no brake lights, brakes work...click noise in steering column

kolkovich34
07-14-2010, 06:49 PM
pretty much said it in the title, have a 99 monte and when i press the brake pedal it makes a click noise each time it's pressed. the little brake light in the rear window works, but the 2 main ones do not. i've stuck my finger into the steering column and i feel what seems to be a cable that's attached to some sensor? plz help! i'm goin nuts not figuring it out!:runaround: would like to find out more info before i start tearing it apart myself to find out if i can fix it or not! :(

nathyrin
01-20-2011, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't recommend doing that... I had to disconnect that cable after chisling away at the tumbler in the ignition. My saturn had something similar in it. the cable is designed to tie in with the shifter and brake pedal, if the brake pedal isn't depressed you shouldn't be able to get it out of gear. I would recommend checking the fusebox, or even the bulbs to make sure you got the right ones in. If not it may be a short in the electrical system.

barn3dog
01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
did you ever figure it out? you needed to replace the steering column turn signal switch... the one from a dealer with all of the wires :)

Add your comment to this topic!