Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How often should I replace my fuel filter?

drob99
07-14-2010, 10:09 AM
About a month ago my car was in the shop getting the intake gasket manifold replaced and the mechanic noticed I needed the fuel filter replaced. He said its not the original fuel filter but it needs to get replaced. I was just wondering how often should I replace the fuel filter and does it matter what kind of fuel filter I get? I have a 2002 Grand Prix GT with 100,770 miles.

gonesouth
07-14-2010, 11:44 AM
About a month ago my car was in the shop getting the intake gasket manifold replaced and the mechanic noticed I needed the fuel filter replaced. He said its not the original fuel filter but it needs to get replaced. I was just wondering how often should I replace the fuel filter and does it matter what kind of fuel filter I get? I have a 2002 Grand Prix GT with 100,770 miles.

The owner's manual really doesn't specify when it should be changed. My opinion is every two years or 25,000 miles, especially after the first 50,000 miles. It's more of a preventive maintenance measure.

When a mechanic tells you something of that nature, ask what the basis of his recommendation is. If it's a shop you always go to for maintenance, he may be using a time table for when your last replacement was. If it's not your usual shop, it's kind of a strange observation. A fuel filter is a sealed unit where failure can't be predicted by sight. Maybe he saw something when he pulled the fuel rails off. Wisconsin uses salt on the roads, so maybe it was rusty looking. Hard to say. Don't be afraid to ask 'why'?

As for brand, AC Delco is good. Name brands like Fram, Purolator, etc. are good too if you are changing it every two years.

drob99
07-14-2010, 01:10 PM
My car runs fine and I get good gas mileage. Well since I had my car for over 3 years and Ive never replaced it. So I think its about time I do.

gonesouth
07-14-2010, 01:30 PM
My car runs fine and I get good gas mileage. Well since I had my car for over 3 years and Ive never replaced it. So I think its about time I do.

After three years use without changing it, I agree that was a very wise decision.

07-14-2010, 02:17 PM
I believe it is every 30K

tblake
07-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Have the mechanic change it. If its all rusted in, it is going to be a PITA to get out. Might as well have him do it while it is upin the air.

I use WIX filters in all my vehciles. I've stopped using delco since I found out there were bing outsourced and dropped in quality.

Firstymer
07-26-2010, 09:14 AM
It is highly recommended to change the fuel filter every 12,000 miles or 24 months; which ever one comes first. I recently change my filter and the fuel inside it was light-brown. I used Purolator brand instead of the common AC Delco. So far everything is good!

Add your comment to this topic!