Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Grand Prix GTP Transmission Issue(s)

FragMaster629
07-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Intermittently shifts into overdrive, when it does shift, the shift seems normal. Had a mechanic check the codes, P0716 & P0717, he recommended changing the Input Speed Sensor. This seemed to fix the problem for about a month and now it has reoccured.

Any advice or suggestions on the next step would be greatly appreciated.

BNaylor
07-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Welcome to AF.

The P0716 and P0717 DTCs indicate an issue with the input speed sensor both circuit performance and no signal. Did the mechanic change the right sensor? This sensor is located at the input shaft where the torque converter mates up so it is a major repair job.

07-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Nothing to worry about, inspect the 20 way connector on your trans. look for bent pins, damaged wiring (stretched wiring), or connector is not properly seated and locked. I think we had a TSB for this problem and I remember replacing the 20 way connector. Also check related wiring for damage. I even remember those codes....

-so nothing to worry about, try another connector from junk yard and use the electrical contact cleaner spray from the Auto Zone.

- I think the customer's complaint was harsh shifting when the check engine light is on.

Add your comment to this topic!