Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

another overheating eclipse.....

Nego
07-13-2010, 09:49 AM
my eclipse that i had for a couple of years has had overheating problems forever

relplaced:
radiator
radiator cap
thermostat
ac cooling fan
water pump
most hoses

the cooland in the reservouir would dissappear full in less than a week so i started using water and the temp. gauge would get like a quarter away from overheating especially when the car was stopped i.e. for a red light. so from midway to a quarter away from overheating all the time but never overheat so i didnt care cuz of so much money i spent on it, so for me as long as it worked i was ok.

so now its over heating the gauge its staying preety high so when i got home yesterday i left it on to see if it would overheat and sure it did i dont get it i really ran out of answers to fix the dang car. anyone has any ideas? i really want to know why the coolant is dissappearing like that cuz is not leaking or anything unless its doing it while im driving but i chked and everything looked normal!?:runaround:

ned032002
07-13-2010, 09:52 AM
The coolant is going somewhere. Have you checked your oil for coolant? Have you had any milky brown stuff in your coolant? Is she smoking at all?

Nego
07-20-2010, 06:56 AM
yes i did all that and nothing...

SilvrEclipse
07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Are both of your fans coming on? I tried to run only 1 fan for 2 years and always had overheating issues. Make sure both fans are coming on. I would even wire the condensor fan to come on with the rad fan to help cool it down. This can be down by just jumping the relay in the fuse box.

SLoe
07-20-2010, 10:01 PM
You say you replaced most hoses, but not all? You should pressure test your system, you may have a pin-hole somewhere. It's hard to see them most of the time, and just because you don't see a big drip doesn't mean it's not leaking. :2cents: Read this.http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=587560 Read it.

LandoAWD
07-22-2010, 09:56 AM
+1 on the fans. Make sure they are blowing the right way as well.

cantgo2fast
07-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I have the opposite problem mine is fine around town and at stop lights but on the highway it overheats but only when I go up a sustained hill. It'll be fine for the longest time then a long incline will come up and temps will just keep rising. Fans are coming on. I haven't checked the oil and most of my hoses are also new

Papa George
09-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I do not know if you got this fixed yet if so please post your findings.

we had this same issue with my wifes truck (not the eclipse) but still could be the same issue.

On long trips the truck would over heat all coolant gone!

what we found was a bad head gasket. when the truck was running one of the cylinders was causing pressure in the cooling system and the coolant was sent out the overflow.

you can check this by filling the colling system and running the car wile watching your hoses you will see pressure build up in the hoses. (extreme pressure)

you can also do a leak test on the cylinders if you have an air compressor and this would tell you what cylinder is bad (not an issue with a 4 cylinder) only one head gasket. this is the safest way to check the head gasket.

Add your comment to this topic!