Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Amp cutting off ):

Diablue
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
I have a pair of Dual DS12's and a Dual XPA2100 amp I'm trying to run but it cuts off at high volumes/on songs that hit long/hard bass notes.

Amp Dual XPA2100
Power: 50w RMS x 2 chans @ 4ohms
Bridged: 150w RMS x 1 chan @ 4ohms
bass boost: 0~12dB @ 45Hz

Subs
Dual DS12
Power: 175w rms, 500 max peak

The last subs i had were vr3s(40rms, 400 max) and I blew them out stupidly trying to bridge them and get more power.
I have the duals bridged to 150w rms input power and they sound great when the amp isn't cutting off on me. Would it damage the subs to run them on seperate channels at the 50w rms? Is there any way to set this up so it doesn't keep cutting off on me?

PaulD
07-13-2010, 05:15 PM
turn the gains to the middle position and turn all the bass boost stuff on your amp, headunit, eg, etc.. to 0 and see what happens

Diablue
07-15-2010, 01:06 PM
turn the gains to the middle position and turn all the bass boost stuff on your amp, headunit, eg, etc.. to 0 and see what happens

I did this and also moved the amp out of the trunk in case it was overheating. It seems to work okay but still cuts off on max/high volume. Do I need a more powerful amp to have higher volumes with the speakers or should not put any more power into them?

PaulD
07-17-2010, 10:56 AM
sounds like your amp is running out of juice, it will only put out so much power. Make sure your power wires are up to the task of delivering the amount of power the amp needs.

Diablue
07-27-2010, 01:55 AM
sounds like your amp is running out of juice, it will only put out so much power. Make sure your power wires are up to the task of delivering the amount of power the amp needs.

I got to thinking about that and testing it a bit, it got to the point where it cut out if it was even on at all. I checked the fuse in the power line and it turns out that when I fried the old subs, I fried that as well. It's up and running now and doesn't cut out at all!

PaulD
07-27-2010, 06:59 PM
the fuse fries because the connections are poor. Increased resistance in the connectors means most of voltage drop (and heat) were at the connector. Make sure everything is tightened down.

Diablue
07-28-2010, 02:21 AM
the fuse fries because the connections are poor. Increased resistance in the connectors means most of voltage drop (and heat) were at the connector. Make sure everything is tightened down.

Everything is tight now. I'm keeping an eye on the fuses as well. Could giving another car a jump start while the power wire is attached blow a few? Cause I did that shortly after I blew the old subs.

PaulD
07-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Everything is tight now. I'm keeping an eye on the fuses as well. Could giving another car a jump start while the power wire is attached blow a few? Cause I did that shortly after I blew the old subs.

yes, especially if the other car is really dead

Diablue
07-30-2010, 04:26 PM
yes, especially if the other car is really dead

Alright. I didn't think about it at the time but I'll be pulling the fuse before giving anyone else a jump.

Thanks for the helps.

PaulD
07-30-2010, 09:13 PM
lucky it was just your stereo stuff, it can pop you ECU (car computer) as well. When you jump off another car, turn yours off and put the negative jumper clamp on bare metal - not the neg battery post.

Add your comment to this topic!