Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

starter problems

smbcfuselighter
07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I have an 83 s10 and its old. The wiring it seems on every end has electrical tape somewhere. I got a new battery but the starter went bad shortly after replacing it. It smelt like burning matches. I took it to a local generator shop and he opened it up and showed me a burned starter motor. He replaces the motor for 50 bucks and i go home and it seems like it engages rough the first couple of times but I drove it around and it seemed fine after I go to a friends house and back home. I get up the next day to turn it and it cranks over one good time and my truck cuts out while I'm warming it up. I start it back and it winds down like it lost power or something. I used a charger to check the battery and its fine, so I look under and of course a fuse has blowed so I take care of that. I try to start it again and nothing but a click. Sounds like the starter is clicking but nothing happens. I give it a once over and check for wiring, take a look at a few ends that looked like they could use fixing and made them better. Still just a click and no start. Well I get underneath and start looking at the wires going to the starter and they look like they got electrical tape wrapped all around them. I mean they seem intact and connectors seem good even though they could use replacing. They seemed tight so I turn the key just to see if I jogged a loose connection. This time theres no click so i try it a few more times and its dead. But battery still sends power to lights and stereo and seemingly checks out okay. Aside from having the starter checked out what does is sound like? What would you do first? Should I replace the wiring? If so, how do I do it? There seems to be bulb like fixtures on the ends under the sleaves of the wiring. What about the starter? Should I just go ahead and buy a rebuild? Could it be an ignition control module, or a bad alternator, or neutral safety switch?

jdl
07-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Purple wire at starter solenoid should be hot with key in the crank position. If it isn't back-track the circuit. I'd still have to make sure your battery has a full charge. Use a digital multimeter leads across the battery posts, everything turned off. The generic spec for a fully charged battery is 12.6 volts. I can post a starter wiring circuit, if you need it?

jdl
07-13-2010, 06:27 PM
I guess you could check the purple wire, with starter removed. Remember that is hot with key in the crank position, you can't let it touch ground.

If the starter pinion gear is hung up on the flywheel, there is something wrong somewhere? Sometimes you use shims with the starter to get correct placement between pinion teeth and flywheel teeth.

Sometimes with suspect starter, I remove starter, lay it in the ground, hook jumper cables up to it, see if it will spin and kickout the pinion gear. That is a no load test. Some of the national brand autostores will test starter.

Add your comment to this topic!