Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 GTP Overheating problems

gtp3.8
07-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Hello all. I am having a mojor overheating problem on my GTP and was wanting to see if anyone else had any problems with this. I have a 1997 GTP it does have a few mods (reprogramed pcm, smaller pully ect.) It also has around 195000 Miles on it. About 2 weeks ago I started overheating. I discovered that the passinger side radiator fan was not working. I replaed the motor and it still would not run properly. I took it to the shop and found out that it had a ground problem so the mechanic strait wired the fans and it still overheated. The gauge in the dash showed it was running around 230 deg but the fans was running and the AC was still blowing cold air( I only mention this because before the Ac would cut off and blow just heat) also the computer he was using said it was running at 192 deg which is what the Tstat is . He replased the Tstat and the sensor at the Tstat. All has been well for a week now but just about an hour ago the gauge in the dash was reading around 230 deg again. Everything that I know to check seems to be running right. Most cars I have owned that has ever had an overheating problem you could hear the radiator and coolant boling and gurgling and its not doing it with this problem. Do I have another faulty sensor? This would be the 3rd one since the problem started. Bad gauge? Any ideas?

Thank You

tblake
07-12-2010, 12:28 AM
230 degrees doesn't seem terrible for hot weather in stop and go traffic. You would have a problem if if it reached the red thought (230 isn't near red yet is it? A little above half, right?)

And I have to ask, what brand reprogrammed PCM do you have, usually don't they program the fans to come on at 185 degrees? And are you running a 180 t-stat or a 195?

gtp3.8
07-12-2010, 08:39 AM
I have a 3800 Performance Stage 1 PCM. I am running a 195 tstat. It has never acted like this though. 260 is the red area. It hasnt reached the red yet but it has gotten hot enough to shut off the AC and it has reached the mark just below the red where the temp light comes on and once I get going it stays above the 210 mark and never comes back down.

richtazz
07-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Are you saying that with the fans direct wired and running that you are still overheating?

gtp3.8
07-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Yes or at least that is what the temp gauge is saying but the car doesnt act like it is over heating. The AC hasnt cut off any nor can I hear the coolant boiling or being pushed back out. I went to the shop today and they are going to put another sensor on. Thats the only thing we can figure out it is. I dont understand what would cause the sensor to keep going bad

richtazz
07-13-2010, 02:01 PM
make sure they don't put teflon tape on the threads of the sensor. It will interfere with the ground and cause it to read incorrectly. A good brand sensor will come with pre-applied electrically conductive thread sealant so no other sealant should be necessary.

TDWPgtp
07-15-2010, 12:50 PM
my 97 gtp did the same thing, and still does. the gauge shows that its overheating, but it isnt. it has been doing this for about 2 years now. we spent a good deal of time and money trying to figure out why it was overheating, and it turns out that it wasnt, the gauge is just messed up. if your reading 210 or 230 on a digital scanner and the car is running without any overheating symptoms, its probably safe to say your gauge is just wacky like mine

Add your comment to this topic!