Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 wagon 3.3 only starts when it wants to

wbowner
07-09-2010, 05:10 PM
This car will start about 70% of the time with no problems at all. other times you can sit there and crank the motor all day long and it wont start.. I always listen for the fuel pump to stop before I turn the key all the way. When I hear it , the car will start and when I dont hear it(only a faint click) it doesnt start.. Could there be something in the fuel tank floating around and blocking it sometimes?

I have read many, many posts on here with some being similar but not quite my problem..

Any ideas or suggestions are always greatly appreciated.

GTP Dad
07-10-2010, 11:00 AM
It is possible that your fuel pump is going bad but I would first replace the fuel pump relay. It sounds like it has an issue and isn't energizing like it should. The relay is located in the electric control center under the hood and is a simple plug in. Make sure to get a quality relay. Don't purchase a cheap one. If the problem continues after you replace the relay and check the wiring to the fuel pump and ultimately the fuel pump.

wbowner
07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Thank you GTP DAd, I have printed the schematics from AutoZone
(fig. 72, I think) and when I am finished with my chevy venture(head gasket), I'll be able to dig into this car.. I just wanted to thank you in advance, and will be back to let you guys know what it was.. Or for more ideas, which this site is awesome for..

wbowner
07-20-2010, 11:01 AM
I had the car towed by the mechanic when it wouldn't start. When he was going to take it off the rolback, he decided to try it, and the car started right up.. He had the car for two weeks trying to duplicate the problem but could not. I get the car back yesterday and today it wont start. I switched the air and fuel pump relays to no avail. I ran a lead from the battery to the red wire by the relay and still no hum from the fuel pump.. If I wait til later in the day and try, it will probably start.. Any ideas other than tearing the fuel pump out. Or is it 100% the fuel pump?

wbowner
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Well the car started. I was playing around with the key in the ignition and the gear lever in park. By moving them around very slowly from off to right before starting, I was getting the fuel pump to pressurize a little(half the time of normal), and the car would almost start, then die out.. A little more playing with the key and lever, it fired right up.. Ignition switch?, park-neutral switch? Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance for yout time!

07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi, to rule out ignition switch try this: set the blower motor to HI setting and turn ac ON, then turn ignition key to run position then off run off, repeat this 5-6 times and listen for the blower motor it should start every time. If you don't hear blower motor to start every time chances are that ignition switch is causing problems and sometimes is not even sending power to fuel pump.

-also you said when you don't hear the fuel pump you only get faint click. So engine does not even attempt to turn, is that right?

wbowner
07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
The faint click that I was referrring to was from the fuel pump, instead of the hum that you would normally hear.. Also when I drove it after it started, there was no hesitation getting up to speed(55mph) and ran very normal. Even after a kickdown to passing gear, again , no hesitation .

07-20-2010, 03:14 PM
You can always connect the fuel pressure gauge to your fuel rail and tape up the gauge to your windshield while you are driving, so you can monitor sudden pressure changes. This will tell you more about the condition the fuel pump. Don't close the hood completely not to pinch the hose. Good luck.

wbowner
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I will try your idea for the ignition switch first, if no problem is found, then I'll need to go borrow a fuel pressure gauge.. Is there a code reader for this year, or is the only option grounding the a and b and counting the blinks?

07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I will try your idea for the ignition switch first, if no problem is found, then I'll need to go borrow a fuel pressure gauge.. Is there a code reader for this year, or is the only option grounding the a and b and counting the blinks?

A & B with paper clip or wire is the only way, unless you have scanner

wbowner
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Thank you 3100 for your time.. I'm going to try these and get back to you, maybe later on tonight, but probably tomorrow..

wbowner
07-30-2010, 02:31 PM
First of all, Sorry for taking so long to get back here. It was the fuel-pump all along. I took the car to this place nearby that specializes in automotive electrical issues. They went over my car with great care( I watched them do it ) and checked everything.. finally narrowed it down to the fuel-pump.. Removed the pump and bench tested it.. The pump ran the first time but sounded a little ruff, tested it again and he had to tap it to run again and it sounded even worse.. Now the car is running great(seems to have even more pep)..
I want to thank everyone invovled with automotiveforums..

Moderator you can now close this thread and I hope it can help someone else...

Add your comment to this topic!