Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Center console removal

wylie
07-09-2010, 09:29 AM
I have to remove the center console.
A couple of questions.
Do I have to remove the shifter handle?if I do how do I?
One reason I have to get under the dash is because no air is blowing out of the defog vent.
The blower is working fine out the mains but when I switch to defog it just keeps blowing out the mains so I'm assuming that something has gone wrong under the dash.

StevePT
07-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Your problem is not necessarily under the dash. There's a vacuum line that runs with the electrical bundle on the passenger side of the frame in the engine compartment under the battery. Trace that vacuum line and make sure it's not cracked anywhere. This is 9/10 times the reason for the mode selector not working on the W-Body vehicles.

As far as removing the center console, no you don't have to remove the shifter. The console has a couple screws holding it in towards the front under the ashtray and then in the console lift out the CD/Tapes/Junk holder and below you'll find a couple more screws to remove. Once those are all out you can lift up on the center console and move it out of the way.

wylie
07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanx StevePT: I'll try that first.
Another thing I'm trying to figure out at the same time is the back speakers keep cutting in and out.
Checked the connectors and speakers in the truck and that's all OK so I'm figuring its got to be connectors in back of the radio?

This is a 99GT 400,000k

rkvons
07-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanx StevePT: I'll try that first.
Another thing I'm trying to figure out at the same time is the back speakers keep cutting in and out.
Checked the connectors and speakers in the truck and that's all OK so I'm figuring its got to be connectors in back of the radio?

This is a 99GT 400,000k
Have you noticed water on the front passenger side floor after a heavy downpour? You may have a water leak under your passenger side wiper blade that is getting things wet under your dash. I had this problem and my back speakers were acting up until I got it fixed.

tblake
07-14-2010, 08:02 PM
99 GT with 400k, now thats getting your moneys worth.

I agree to check the vacuum line near the battery.

Do you have automatic (digital) or manual analog climate control.

And for the speakers, do you have the Bose system in your car?

Add your comment to this topic!