Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question on AMT & Revell Kits

KOFFEE-BLACK
05-12-2003, 05:45 PM
Hey, Ive now got my cousin hooked on these, he is currently foing an AMT (?) 64 Impala, are the kits just as good as Tamiya? Also with Revell, BIG-W (like a Walmart) is selling 4 kits for $30AUS (about $13US) why is Revell much cheaper? Ive seen a few Revell kits on here, which look good, but I personally havent had any first hand experience on them.

Thanks.

RaceMySS_454
05-12-2003, 05:57 PM
revell kits are much more detailed IMO than tamiya kits.......plus they cost so much because well here in the USA we need to pay the shipping and all those costs.

ef302
05-12-2003, 06:06 PM
tamiya kits are generaly better than amt and revell but all kits are different..............the kits at big w are $39.96 and are good value as 2 of the kits are newish and 2 are old reissues they are well worth getting , ive got them all....this is an amt 32 phantom vickie that ive customised

KOFFEE-BLACK
05-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks for that fellow OZZIE! Do you have any pics of the 64 Imapala? So my Cousin was telling the truth about 4 for $39? Is so, I think Im gonna get one! Revell and AMT are mostly American cars huh?

CYPH3R
05-12-2003, 08:17 PM
how's the civic coupe by revell?
are they good...detailed engine??

Layla's Keeper
05-12-2003, 08:26 PM
Revell is a grand manufacturer that certainly delivers bang for the buck on terms of accuracy, detail, and optional parts. They're Honda/Acura kits are (as far as I know) the only game in town for Vtec fours. Which isn't too bad since the engines are fairly well done. The chassis are a little soft, and all the parts come off as a bit ricey, but as a whole they're welcome additions to the modeling world. I look forward to their SVT Focus and converting it to the British Market RS.

bah humbug
05-12-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by KOFFEE-BLACK
are the kits just as good as Tamiya? Also with Revell why is Revell much cheaper? Ive seen a few Revell kits on here,

Thanks.

:huh: :lol2: Revell and AMT have nothing on Tamiya, ROFLOL :lol2: I know your a newb but it's so funny to me!

Revell is so much cheaper because of how bad it is if you compare it to Tamiya. You can't even compare the 2.

But you can build anything from the box if you want to.
Anybody can build AMT and revell all it takes is more work.
Plus it's good to build these kits, you'll gain more experience.

Layla's Keeper
05-12-2003, 08:42 PM
I beg to differ on the "not as good as Tamiya" point.

Whereas this is commonly true in the "fit and finish" department. Let us explore a Revell kit that defies this "status quo".

#1: Revell-Monogram Pro-Modeler series 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona: Not only does this kit come proper photoetch for the hoodpins, grille, scripts, and badges, but an extensive Cartograf decal set, tampo printed red-line tires, lovely pair of engines that mount to an excellent Chryco manual tranny, interior that can be built accurately as a period NASCAR stocker with complete bracing or factory stock with heater ducting, period correct NASCAR parts (including a great "rat roaster" 4barrel intake) and tons of factory paint codes & reference pictures to help you make it totally right. All at around $20.

There are many others like this. The classic Gasser, LSR, and Drag kits of the sixties. The many standard line muscle cars. The SCCA Trans-Am/IMSA GTO kits. The ASA Camaro/T-bird kits. The Austin-Healey 100-6, Jaguar X-KE roadster, the Lil' John Buttera T's.... and the list of exceptional detail goes on.

I won't deny that Tamiya kits go together MUCH better. But consider that in the year when Tamiya was trumpeting their Audi Quattro kit whose "engine" was little more than a relief molded tub and whose interior lacked side panel detail of really any sort, Revell had kitted the 7-Eleven IMSA Mustang GTO with full fuel cell, fuel filler, and oil line detail, full cage, correct Jericho crashbox and dry sump 302, and great R&S style tube chassis.

I'm sorry, but it's kit to kit, and Revell more often than not out details Tamiya in 1/24th-1/25th scale.

D[X]P
05-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by CYPH3R

civic si is a fun kit

its very well made(for revell)

BigPoppa
05-13-2003, 12:32 AM
I haven't built many Tamiya kits, but I like the Revell Coupe. It's up there with the Integra, except for the tacky ancient-style screw-on chassis!!! What were they thinking. I found some nice plastic pegs to fit in those tho, with a little putty. From what I've seen, what the "foreign-Aoshima, Tamiya, etc" have in quality fit, Revell makes up in detail.

K. Diaz

theoldboy
05-13-2003, 01:43 AM
ill take revll and amt kits,over tamiya anyday
most tamiya kits are just snap kits useing some glue ,no engine, a real pain to lower them
with revell and amt moderfacations are a lot eaiser also thay have a much lager range of kits to chose from
im not knocking tamiya when they produce a fully detail kit they do excellent work there kits always go together without any problems
the choice of brand is really more a choice of the cars you wish to make

Purpura Delujo
05-13-2003, 02:44 AM
This is turning into one of those bloody comparison threads. Long story short for you if you haven't made a Revell before

Fujimi - (I don't want to go down here) bad to very bad detail, average to bad fittings, bad plastics average moudling, very expensive! (Not worth it in Australia!)

Revell = Cheap, detail, average fittings,huge range, you can find alot of good bargains.

AMT = Cheap,very detailed, crap moulding, bad fittings but still, you can find some real bargains big range.

Tamiya = Expensive, not so detailed, very good fittings, very good moulding, limited range, not so many bargains (If you live out of Japan)

Monogram = (Part of Revell anyway though) great detail, good fittings, average price, wide range, some bargains (I got a 1959 Cadillac coupe skill 3, 110+ parts for $24,95 AUSD, very nice fittings so far, best detail i've seen on any of my models!)

In Australia, I go for Revell/Monogram/AMT. I do like the Japanese cars, which Fujimi and Tamiya make, but I'm not paying that much for them! Tamiya will average $45AUSD and Fujimi $50AUSD. I'd rather 2 kits than 1 :rolleyes: . These are just my understandings from buying models in Australia for 4 years.

ef302
05-13-2003, 02:45 AM
Here s one of amts most detailed box stock kits it includes heaps of photoetch details ,plug leads and metal foil even!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

d16a6crx
05-13-2003, 05:29 AM
I build mostly all AMT/Revell kits, mostly because they are cheap to buy... I have built 1 Tamiya kit, and I only bought it because of what is was (Honda McLaren MP4/4)...

I think that Revell kits are desent detail, easy to built. And again, dirt cheap. I also like that they often come with optional engines, wheels, sticker packaging etc, etc. Huge Selection

AMT, i think, is better than Revell in the way of detail, many engines have cylinder heads complete with combustion chambers, spark plugs, valve rockers, etc. But to my experience, AMT has a smaller selection that Revell

I also have a kit called Hasegawa... its of a EVO VI Rally car. I paid like $30USD for it. When I get home and open the box... what the hell, there is no engine?! I had never experinced this with a revell, and I don't know if I will buy anymore Jap models again because of it

Martbee
05-13-2003, 10:48 AM
I red all the above... everybody is right. Now, it's depends on how rich you are, how many time you have to make everythnig fit, what car you want and what will be displayed.

I begin by the car I want... then check my budget and the way it'll be displayed. The time to build it is the last factor...

In my opinion... Tamiya is a great race car builder... JTCC, GTR, Rally, Leman... most of them have engines and great one by the way (as good as Revell but with less little thing). Ideal for race diorama with open hood or live scene. Yes they are a pain when you play with suspension... but I think the reason is they make it at a good riding height at first. Simply near perfection but yet pricy.

Revell is a great Nascar builder and a motor perfectionnist... if you have plenty of time to work on a model and if it'll be display with the open hood, that's a good choice but maybe you'll have to work on the suspension.

AMT's are the worst of them all. But then again, when the only company who does what I want is them... don't have much choice. But prepare sanding block, cutters, scalpel, putty and a lot of patience. Think of the riding height at first cuz you'll need to drop them so they don't look like a Bigfoot.

Never try FUJIMI, AOSHIMA....

NismO_VspeC11
06-24-2009, 04:04 AM
Hi there
i live in Australia and i want to Ask if they still sell modelkits at big-w Anymore cause i have 2 drive all the way 2 parramatta to my local model kit shop(Sherifs mini cars). i remember bigw about 5 years ago sold Amt fnf cars?Well my bigw dont sell modelkits no more does yours?
Thanks Jake.

blubaja
06-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Most, if not all of our WalMarts have stopped selling plastic models:(

NismO_VspeC11
06-25-2009, 02:34 AM
i reckon all shops like daht should sell em Aye!
i suppose they got clothes sporting tv's heps of shit and not even a model kit Lmao.
NEWAIISZ thankss!

blubaja
06-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Well. They should yes. But walmart isn't all that popular with most people here, as it might seem to people where you are. And modeling isn't really as popular as it should be:(

prortiz80
06-26-2009, 12:54 AM

depending which civic kit u looking at my favorite one is the 93 civic kit really nice kit the other one is good too but i feel the 93 civic is detailed better

prortiz80
06-26-2009, 01:01 AM
depending which civic kit u looking at my favorite one is the 93 civic kit really nice kit the other one is good too but i feel the 93 civic is detailed better

i didnt notice how old this thread is.....and the walmart by me still sell models in matter of fact they sell for 10dollars an im talking about revell and AMT

Add your comment to this topic!