Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

When do I replace my brakes?

Nekkiu
07-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Recently, I've started hearing a pulsating squealing, so I took it to firestone, they said that my rotor is unbalanced and is too thin to get machined, so when I brought it home that day I popped my tires off and checked my brakes, it looks like my pads are in contact with my rotors, is that normal? I thought I would see a visible gap. Additionally, I still saw about a centimeter of my pad left on both pads and both sides of the car. I've read that these semi-metallic pads often make squealing noises, but I just don't want to damage my car, what do you guys think?

MagicRat
07-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Pads are in contact with the rotors all the time. This is normal.

As for the pads having a centimeter left..... are you sure? Pad material is not a centimeter thick, even when new. You may be looking at the backing plate as well. Can you post a pic of your pad thickness.

Nekkiu
07-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow, thank you. I appreciate the reply, I work long hours for the next couple of days so I won't be able to post any pictures anytime soon... but I will most definitely do so my next day off which should be sunday.

I guess I was staring at the back plating, I'm not too sure, I was afraid to unscrew my caliber because I'm not exactly sure how to squeeze it back together. in the gaps between my caliber there was some room where I could see the contact of my pads with the rotor, I could barely fit my fingers there to feel the pad.

Add your comment to this topic!