Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A sad day for rally...

gtxtc
05-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Yesterday around four thirty in the afternoon, word came into the Sawmill service area that there was an accident involveing a rally car, possibly an Evo VII, went off track and broke through a tree where two spectators were watching a corner in the second stage and were killed. Our prayers should be with the families.

http://www.rallyright.com/sawmill/pr1-sawmill03.html

Please be safe when you are spectating. only stand above the turn and behind trees that are at least waist thick. This was a horrible tragedy and the first spectator death in american club rally history.

Marco_Wrc
05-12-2003, 02:22 PM
It's always sad to hear spectators got injured or even killed at rallies.

freakray
05-13-2003, 08:04 AM
I am not unsumpathetic to their plight, but the spectators were apparently standing in a closed section of the course where they should not have been.
I heard the report on the radio news here yesterday.

BTW, it is actually safer to stand on the inside of the turn in most cases, and when possible.

Guido
05-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by freakray
I am not unsumpathetic to their plight, but the spectators were apparently standing in a closed section of the course where they should not have been.
I heard the report on the radio news here yesterday.

BTW, it is actually safer to stand on the inside of the turn in most cases, and when possible.

I agree Ray, even in Belgium when spectators got killed watching a rally some years ago, it appeared that they were in a place where they shouldn't have been - not allowed/restricted area...
Every loss of life is sad, also like you say.

Jimster
05-28-2003, 12:12 AM
As awful as it is- it is a timely reminder to use common sense when Rally Spectating :(

Please be safe :(

Luka3000gt
06-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Here in Italy, at the last ediction of the Targa Florio, a famous race in Sicilia, a group of spectators were seeing the race (they were about twenty alltogether) in the external part of the corner (some were also in the firs two metres of the road, when a punto super 1600 went straight after a bad brake and hitted them, luckily they ere no injured, but when the pilot continued the race the spectators ran after the car kicking it and spiiting to it.

How uncivilizeds, as it was a pilot fault............ :banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!