Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tough Luck, Need Help

integra818
05-09-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm pretty much a n00b at modeling, and after reading the F.A.Q many times I finally layed down a perfect bright orange paint job on my latest car, a Revell Lamborghini Roadster (yes, the snap-tite one, it's better than fujimi's cars).
To the point... 3 hours after I paint the car outside, I go outside and see the body upside down on the rough cement ground. The best paint job I've done and now it's all chipped. I want to know if I can spray some of the spray color on to a piece of paper, brush the color on the parts where paint has chipped off, sand it and polish it, would that work? Or would it make things worse?

Sidewinder-03
05-09-2003, 08:54 PM
I have had success in doing that with solid colors. If you used a metallic color, you may be better off stripping it and starting over.

daggerlee
05-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Spray into the cap. :)

Jay!
05-09-2003, 09:33 PM
:eek: And please, get a better painting jig (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9857)!!! :eek:

bah humbug
05-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Why didn't you take it inside?

Really sucks, I would strip the paint but I don't know what your gonna do. Or sand until the surface with chip and not chip is even, then spray.

integra818
05-09-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by bah humbug
Why didn't you take it inside?

Really sucks, I would strip the paint but I don't know what your gonna do. Or sand until the surface with chip and not chip is even, then spray.

bah humug,I was afraid of dust setting on it, that's why I did'nt take it inside.

Jay, it was on a large can of spray paint. The body could'nt move off of it, the can fell with the body, the jig would'nt make it any different.

Sidewinder-03, I'm thinking about stripping it.

daggerlee, I'll take your suggestion.

Thanks guys.

I'm still not sure about what to do. :(

Integra14
05-09-2003, 11:21 PM
Buy brake fluid for 2$ its cheap, and just set it in there for 1 day, wipe the paint off... wash it... wait another day.. primer, paint. etc.

its not hard, its not expensive and ur not wasteing a lot of money..

flyonthewall
05-10-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by integra818

Jay, it was on a large can of spray paint. The body could'nt move off of it, the can fell with the body, the jig would'nt make it any different.

Same thing! The model might be secure but this sort of jig is still top heavy and won't take much to knock it over and when it does the model will have further distance to fall. There is nothing wrong with it, its what i use and many others, but you might want to think about securing it with some tape while you leave it, or make a wider base for it from a couple of lolly sticks taped to the bottom in a 'X' shape. Something like that anyway!

primera man
05-10-2003, 07:53 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news.
IMO you need to just sand it back and then lightly spray some coats over it again

Mean_B16
05-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Integra14
Buy brake fluid for 2$ its cheap, and just set it in there for 1 day, wipe the paint off... wash it... wait another day.. primer, paint. etc.

its not hard, its not expensive and ur not wasteing a lot of money..

I tried the brake fluid just to see how well it worked and to tell you the truth, I am stumped as to why anybody uses this stuff instead of castrol superclean. The brake fluid is so much more of a pain to mess with than the SC is. I took the "Pepsi" challenge so to speak and the SC took the paint of my part in less than 1 hour and clean up was a breeze! I left the brake fluid part in overnight and it still was not as stripped as the SC part was and to top it off the brake fliud smells pretty bad and it is more of a pain to clean becuse of it's oil base. Am i missing something here??

bah humbug
05-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Do what Pman does, I think it helps I've been doing it for a long time now.

Put it in the microwave. Don't microwave it though. ;)

Besides if it's not dust the pollen is gonna get your model. :D

Add your comment to this topic!