Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Painting vinyl & plastic

moliva1568
07-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Can anybody recommend a product to paint plastic & vinyl? the door panels on my car have a combination of the two as seen below.

thank you

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/livewire1568/6%20Door/BG.jpg
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400

MagicRat
07-06-2010, 07:33 AM
VHT makes a pretty good vinyl dye. It is applied exactly like spray paint.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/vinyldye.html

It works best on rigid and hard plastic surfaces, like plastic dashboards and plastic pieces.

Its okay on softer vinyl like door panels. But it will eventually rub off from any place that passengers will touch it for long periods of time, like on armrests.

VHT also says that you can spray cloth seats and carpets with this, but IMHO it does not look too good on fabrics.

moliva1568
07-06-2010, 03:42 PM
i wouldn't put it on seats or armrest for fear of staining clothes. i've seen duplicolor and krylon come up. is vht better? what about prep? some of the sprays say none required except cleaning. the sun has killed these panels.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/livewire1568/6%20Door/IMG_0538.jpg
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400

jdmccright
07-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Since you can't really sand vinyl and plastic to improve adhesion, Duplicolor has a spray Adhesion Promoter" to help the new paint stick while keeping the original texture. I haven't used it so can't comment on how well it does, but I have seen it in stores that sell their line of plastic/vinyl spray paints.

moliva1568
07-07-2010, 01:31 PM
some of the panels are scratched up. can something like bondo be used to even it out?

jdmccright
07-09-2010, 08:41 AM
The problem with refinishing interior parts is that it is very difficut to mimic the original texture, but some are slightly easier than others. The older styles had more intricate mold texture (which I can describe best as like wormwood) than today's, which can usually be mimicked by a low-pressure sand blast. But if you don't mind this then read on....

Bondo is a decent option since it stays in the shape you want. The caveat is that it doesn't give as good a final surface unless you are careful about getting rid of bubbles while it is being applied. Another problem is that since it is designed to repair metal, the fillers used make it a harder material to sand down than straight epoxy, to allow the Bondo and surrounding metal to sand down at an even rate. Applying this to plastic, you would have a hard time getting a smooth sanded transition because the soft surrounding plastic would abrade away faster than the Bondo.

A better suggestion might be a metal repair epoxy, which is used along with fiberglass to patch holes in sheetmetal. It's easier to work with and has a slower cure time to let you work with it. It is also clear, so there are no fillers to alter its hardness.

For small repairs, I also like to use Devcon Plastic Welder. The stuff stinks like **** so use it in a well-ventilated area, but is very good for repairing plastic such as broken-off screw mounts, tabs, etc. I've also used it for small surface repair with good results.

Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!