Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Emergency Brake Cable Problem

JonJon68
07-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi, I went on a day trip Saturday and my younger brother helped drive. My emergency brake was engaged when he took over and apparently, he didn't know how to disengage it. He pressed on the brake until something gave way, "I'm assuming the cable" and I heard a clunk towards my left rear wheel area. Now, I have no emergency brake and I'm hearing some rattling going on towards the rear while driving. I jacked up the rear and seen that the cable had some slack so I was able to push it in a bit and seemed to reduce the rattling somewhat. I checked the cable at the E brake pedal and it's still attached. The problem seems to further down the line in the rear. What am I looking at here as far as repairing this? There's a local shop that will diagnose for free but I would like some info from anyone here before I go that route...Thanks..
97 146,000 3.8, non supercharged.

BNaylor
07-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Paul sorry for the late reply. Check the cable at the rear end after the gas tank. There is a turnbuckle adjuster. See how much slack is there going to the left or right rear wheels. After that you may have an issue with the parking brake horseshoe pads and/or adjuster, etc.

JonJon68
07-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks Bob, no problem. A friend and I looked it over and the cable snapped right at the left rear wheel near where the spring is located. We purchased a new cable and waiting for the part to come in...

tblake
07-11-2010, 12:47 PM
hey Paul, is your Brother still breathing after your choke-hold? I hope he's paying you for the cable. Also if you live in any salt states or it may be a good idea in general to just start soaking those bolts in panther piss to they come apart easy.

JonJon68
07-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Haha Tim. He's breathing a little easier..Been soaking everything back there with BP blaster. I'm not going to charge him for the part, although I thought about it. lol

Add your comment to this topic!