Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny fluid on spark plugs

sailor86
07-05-2010, 06:48 AM
My Galant ES Front wheel drive started missing yesterday. This morning I checked out all the spark plugs and found what smelled like tranny fluid on the threads and spark end of the plugs. Is there any logical explanation for this? I can't see it happening under normal circumstances.

shorod
07-05-2010, 09:53 AM
No logical explanation that I can come up with either. Sometimes tranny fluid is used with engine oil to cut through sludge. Some folks use kerosene, others tranny fluid. Maybe that happened here and you also have badly leaking valve cover gaskets.

Did you find this mystery fluid on every plug, or only a few of them? Do you think it is like pink automatic transmission fluid or tan manual transmission fluid? Who does the maintenance on your vehicle?

-Rod

sailor86
07-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I am the only one to my knowledge who has popped my hood for the past two years. I don't often make mistakes without immediately catching myself. The fluid is the tanner variety and the level is good. And yes, there was fluid on every spark plug. As of now the car is running right yet with a "service engine" light on. My mama's mechanic solved her "service engine" light with a locking gas cap. I may give that route a try.

Also, a new development. I suspected the PCV valve and so went to Autozone to pick up a new one. When I was removing the old one, it seems the dark thing was sheared off, so I suppose causing a vacuum leak. The male end was broken off inside the connector and I couldn't remove it all. Somehow I worked the new one in, but suspected a leak still, so I gave it a few wraps of duct tape. Yes, the "engine" light was still on.

RahX
07-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Most likely you have plug seals leaking under the valve cover. Trans fluid in the engine is normally impossible unless someone put it there.

sailor86
07-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Is ATF less viscous than SAE 30 and that would be why it would have leaked past the rings?

shorod
07-06-2010, 08:38 AM
There shouldn't be any ATF in the crankcase to leak past the rings. The closest that ATF would come to the crankcase is the radiator, assuming your car has a transmission cooler in the radiator rather than a separate cooler. And if ATF is getting in to your engine via the radiator, you have bigger issues than ATF on the plugs.

Since you mention the liquid was of the "tanner variety" that would suggest it's oil or unburned fuel mixed with a bit of carbon. Decent ATF will have a pink hue to it.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!