Intake+Exhaust = Better or worse gas mileage?

99civic03
05-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Would adding an cold air intake and a less restrictive muffler increase gas mileage or decrease it?

94tegRS
05-08-2003, 12:33 AM
should get better mileage, but then youll be on it more cuz it will be more fun to drive so youll get less. but if you can drive normal trying ot get good mileage youll get better.

whoneedsvtec
05-08-2003, 07:31 AM
the cold air and exhuast will give you better gas mileage because it will help the gas/air mixture burn more completely.

ZombieMan
05-12-2003, 02:49 PM
it's true and also not, good parts means good milage, non brand parts made with bad material mean bad milage.

PWMAN
05-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 94tegRS
should get better mileage, but then youll be on it more cuz it will be more fun to drive so youll get less. but if you can drive normal trying ot get good mileage youll get better.

Good point! HAH......LOL

neunan
05-19-2003, 07:49 PM
:D and its exactly right too. since i upgraded all the parts in my profile my gas mileage RANGE has increased in either direction. whooops..

markpa
05-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by ZombieMan
it's true and also not, good parts means good milage, non brand parts made with bad material mean bad milage. no true, when it comes to exaust and intakes no names are just as good as anything out there.

york2600
05-28-2003, 02:25 AM
How would a no name part give you bad MPG. Please back this up. Sounds like complete garbage to me.

asdfbeau
05-29-2003, 06:30 PM
i have found that just installing a short ram on my 00 civic has given me a really nice improvement on my gas mileage, but the thing eats up gas when I drive hard, I feel like I can see the line drop on my gas gauge when I floor/redline it...

94tegRS
05-29-2003, 07:01 PM
well, then something must be wrong, if theres not, sorry i said it but I drove my integra hard all day long and still got great gas mileage. but I had intake, headers and exhaust so maybe thats why.

91civicDXdude
05-31-2003, 08:00 PM
Its because of your headers. that extra one is helping with the fuel mixture burning properly.

oh, btw, do you want to explain to us all how you managed to fit headerS on a 4 cylinder engine? :confused:

:rolleyes:

94tegRS
05-31-2003, 08:16 PM
:uhoh:

whoops. I just always hear headers. cuz when you say it outloud "I got intake, header and exhaust" it sounds kinda funny headers just sounds more natural in my mind. but believe me I DO know enough about cars to know that there is only one on an inline 4, but I just dont plan on being criticised for putting an S where it aint supposed to be, sorry!

eckoman_pdx
06-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Would that be why I get killer MPG on the freeway, A cold Air Intake and 2 1/4 inch cat-back exhaust? I have a 97 LS, tranny and ecu in a 92 civic 4 door. I get like 32-34 on the freeway. I was worried when I got the swap back in the summer I was running lean cuz of the great MPG on the freeway, but everyone told me it wasn't lean, that it was the fact a 92 civic is a lighter than the integra it came outta os part of the reason, since it doesnt have as much to pull around. Would the Cold Air and Exhaust be the big reason then? Since its flowin better now and breathin better? uUz I always wondered why I get such good gas mileage, especially on long trips, like from Portland to Seattle.

PWMAN
06-02-2003, 04:40 PM
Yeah the intake and exhaust helps

Add your comment to this topic!