Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

drivers side CV shaft

jakegday
07-03-2010, 08:41 AM
hello all. i had both of these replaced less then a year ago by a very good shop, and now my drivers side one is leaking grease again. i have found the "slit" in the boot so im confident its the cv shaft.
as far as removing goes, i think ive got most of it, disconnect ball joint, tie rod end, sway bar link. remove the nut from the end of the shaft and pound on it to loosen it from the bearing......

i only have 2 questions tho
what is the exact size of that nut?? ive heard 32mm, ive heard 33mm, and ive read 34mm. with sockets being nearly $10 a piece, i would only like to buy one and be done... my second question is, once i get everything moved and am ready to remove the shaft, do i just give it a hell of a good tug, or is there something that needs to be unsecured first?? i understand i will want a drain pan underneath when i do this...

also, is there anything else i should know before tackling this?

jakegday
07-03-2010, 09:07 AM
well you can thank the insanely slow moving website for these multiple threads.....

BNaylor
07-03-2010, 12:33 PM
well you can thank the insanely slow moving website for these multiple threads.....

No problem. The excess threads have been deleted.

BNaylor
07-03-2010, 12:37 PM
i only have 2 questions tho
what is the exact size of that nut?? ive heard 32mm, ive heard 33mm, and ive read 34mm. with sockets being nearly $10 a piece, i would only like to buy one and be done...

36mm using a socket designated as a "axle nut socket" and not a general metric or SAE socket.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/axle_socket.jpg

jakegday
07-03-2010, 05:30 PM
thank you for the input bob, and for deleting my numerous posts. there used to be an option that allowed us to do it ourselves...

that wasnt too bad of a job... i tried like hell for over 30 minutes to get the ball joint separated from the steering knuckle with one of those fork tools and it would not budge. besides taking it to a shop next week my only other option was to remove the knuckle from the strut. i know i know, my alignment is now a little off, but a new shaft and alignment is still cheaper then taking it to a shop for just the shaft.

the size of my nut was 33mm. (ive had both shafts replaced within the last year so they're not stock) autozone only loans out even numbered axle sockets, so i borrowed a 34mm, and it worked just fine

BNaylor
07-03-2010, 05:58 PM
the size of my nut was 33mm. (ive had both shafts replaced within the last year so they're not stock) autozone only loans out even numbered axle sockets, so i borrowed a 34mm, and it worked just fine

Thanks for the feedback and clarification since you do not have the stock OE axle shafts. I've heard of that before. The socket in the pic which I purchased from Auitozone is the same one I use/used for my GTP, Regal LS and son's Olds Alero when I did the front hubs. Also, most AC Delco replacement hubs will come with a new axle nut which is 36mm.

On deleting your own posts that option should still be there. When AF acts up getting multiple posts is common. I had problems myself posting this past week. :shakehead

Add your comment to this topic!