Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Infamous Front End Clunking Noise

tecillo
07-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Hi, I have the infamous clunking sound coming from my front end. I have replaced both of my struts, my sway bar bushings, and both of my ball joints. These actually did need replacement. But, I still have this ridiculous sound, I am out of ideas and just about have thrown the towel. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should check next or a possible method for troubleshooting? I came across this dealer parts diagram and am wondering what item number 9 is. It is a bushing, but have never seen it in my car since I have taking it apart a few times now. Is this the possible reason behind my problem? Can anyone shed light on what or where this bushing goes? Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

shorod
07-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Welcome to the forum!

What year is your LS? I don't see anything resembling #9 in your diagram for the 2000, 2002, 2004, or 2006 model year and cannot tell from the thumbnail what the heck it would be. For the noise you describe though, I would have started with the sway bar end links, #12 in your thumbnail.

You might try using this site (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=318) as you can order the parts straight from here as well. This is what I used as reference above.

-Rod

tecillo
07-04-2010, 05:54 AM
I have a 2000 LS V8. End Links? I shall take a look at them....Number 9 is right underneath the knuckle.

tecillo
07-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the forum!

What year is your LS? I don't see anything resembling #9 in your diagram for the 2000, 2002, 2004, or 2006 model year and cannot tell from the thumbnail what the heck it would be. For the noise you describe though, I would have started with the sway bar end links, #12 in your thumbnail.

You might try using this site (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=318) as you can order the parts straight from here as well. This is what I used as reference above.

-Rod

The links seem to look ok, with the exception of the left one which has a cracked, partially missing plastic backing,and a shredded dust boot. Well actually now that im writing, I guess thyre not that good after all. I have ordered the Deeza LNL603 links for 50 bucks. They don't feel like they have play in them, however i will replace them as their fairly cheap. Are these known to produced the clunk over small bumps and road cracks, which progressively get worst over time?

P.s I have replaced both struts, both ball joints, and both sway bar bushings.

shorod
07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Had it been my car I would have started with the links, then if that didn't fix the noise I would have progressed to the sway bar bushings. That is assuming there was no play or looseness in the suspension and steering.

-Rod

tecillo
07-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I changed both my end links and that seemed to take care of the horrible clunking/shaking sound. I do have a bit of a rough ride right now as if in need of struts? But at least the car is in a drivable condition and is back into operation. I have changed the struts/sway bar bushings/ball joints/end links... is there anything else i can take a look at? i have not had the car aligned just yet. Would that possibly contribute to a mild rough ride over bumps/cracks etc?

shorod
07-19-2010, 06:36 AM
Without actually taking a ride in your car to determine if the ride is harsher than typical for the car, I can't really offer many suggestions. These cars don't ride like the Lincolns of 50 years ago, they are more sport-tuned. The new struts could contribute to a feeling of stiffness, the lower-profile tires than what you might be used to will contribute, the new bushings could be contributing, etc.

-Rod

rodeorock
10-07-2010, 01:47 PM
I had the same problem when i went over a bump.
After 2 years i found out that it was the lower arm, where the 2 bolts connect to the frame there is and ajustable slot for alignment.
One of the bolt wasn't thight enough and would move in the slot.
The bolt in question is covered with a plastic plate, if you remove it you should be able to see if the bolt moved.
The way i found out is i disconect the shock and upper arm,this way i could move the lower arm by hand and heard that famous noise.
I tignten the bolt and got an alignment...no more problem.

tkswan
10-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I heard that you can't replace 12 unless you replace 10. Anybody know if there's any truth to that? I have had the clunking noise for awhile now but haven't gotten around to replacing the end links. I've just been turning the stereo up.

tkswan
10-20-2010, 07:43 PM
...oh 10 and 12 are in the image FIP040.gif (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39871&d=1278141516) from the first post.

shorod
10-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Why would you replace item 12, which is the anti-sway bar bushing mount? You can replace the bushings and reuse item 12, or get some aftermarket bushings which often come with the mount/bracket.

The end links are item 13.

-Rod

tkswan
10-21-2010, 10:50 AM
sorry for the misinformation. what i am trying to clear up is:

...they say that you cannot replace the just the item 11 bushing. you have to replace the whole bar, which is item 10. Is this true? Im thinking it may be true because on fast parts network, the bushing costs $164 and the bar cost $164.

i just want to take it apart 1 time, while i'm doing the end links. I'm trying to avoid replacing the whole bar.

shorod
10-21-2010, 08:40 PM
If you go with OEM bushings, yeah, I've heard you need to buy the entire bar. However, there are options for new bushings without buying OEM. You can spec them out on the Energy Suspension website for one. There is at least one other thread on this forum with part numbers. If I recall correctly, an LS with the sport package has a slightly larger anti-sway bar, so be aware of that when ordering.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!