What brand of spark plugs should I buy for my 2003 Mazda Protege?

linuxguy0481
07-03-2010, 01:36 AM
The current spark plugs are worn out. I do know some brand name of spark plugs work better with certain brand name of cars. Like my other car Autolite only works good with it. By the way my other car is a Ford.

I have a 2003 Mazda Protege LX. Will any brand name spark plug work with this car?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

DoctorCrobe
07-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I believe the autolite's are fine with most mazda's.. I have never had any problem with them, or with bosch... the thing I'd stay away from is the split fire technology, I realize this is a personal thing, but with splitfire if the spark comes off both posts you get a weak spark, which means not as good of a burn in the cylinder... my old car had this issue and it ran like crap because of it.. after I put the normal plugs back in, it seemed to spruce up alot...
again, just my personal feelings about the split fire

linuxguy0481
07-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I went to Checker Auto parts to buy myself a new set of spark plugs. The clerk looked up the best brand for my kind of car and what gap measurement I needed. I found out NGK works best for this car according to the system.

The thing that troubles me is that he told me according to the system. My car won't support the Iridium tipped spark plugs I wanted to purchase. He told me the NGK copper based spark plugs would work the best for my 2003 Mazda Protege. Yep not even the platinum. I don't get it.

DoctorCrobe
07-08-2010, 08:07 AM
from what I read on one website, they are more popular for use in GM. ford, and chrysler.. it doesn't mean you can't use them, and they technically should perform better than copper or platinum..

what I do find funny is that checkers told you to stay with copper, rather then shoving out the expensive iridium plugs..

anyways, it's really gonna boil down to you, and what you really want in your spark plugs.. I wish you good luck, let me know what ya do..

Add your comment to this topic!