Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

steering whine?

dnmir54
07-02-2010, 10:30 PM
have a 2008 matrix when i turn the steering wheel to the left i sometime at least once a day get a high pitch whine ,fluid is good and am not able to make it whine when i need it to like for the repair technition
any thoughts?

adamba
07-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Try turning it further to the left, until it stops turning. Most people don't understand that when the steering wheel is turned all the way until it stops turning, the pump pressure goes to over 3 - 4 times what it does by just turning it a little, and if you do this when the vehicle isn't rolling forwards or backwards, it will overheat your power steering fluid. The groaning sound is the pump complaining about the high hydraulic pressure. The first to go is usually the seals in the hoses, which causes a loss of fluid, followed by a damaged pump. A lot of people don't check their new car for proper fluid levels unless they see a puddle in their driveway. If you hear a groaning, the pump may have been already damaged - start saving for a new one and don't forget the hoses.

jdmccright
07-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Steering pumps have to work harder to turn the front wheels when the car isn't moving and the roughness of the pavement surface can affect it too.

If this is a recent development, you should be covered under warranty. At the least, you should take it in and have the issue documented. If future work is needed, you have proof the problem began during the warranty period.

Add your comment to this topic!