Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Driver side wheel clunking noise

T_ravis
07-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi... I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 99000 miles. It recently started making a clunk or pop when turning right or left backing in or pulling out of spaces from the front driver’s side. I took it in and they suggested replacing the front struts. I ordered front struts and replaced them myself using the instructions from the tips and maintenance Subform . The noise went away during the first test run but when I went to get the alignment I noticed the noise again. I drove back to house double checked the bolts and gave it the 9 and 3 test and found left to right movement indicating possibly a wheel bearing or tie rod. So my question is while moving the tire left to right I see the tie rod move with the tire like the tie rod end is tight. Does this indicate the wheel bearing assembly or maybe the inner tie rod? Thanks for any help.

T_ravis

gonesouth
07-02-2010, 06:19 PM
It's good you did the 9 3 test.

Did you do the 12 6 o'clock test too?

If you have the same amount of play at 12 6, it's probably the bearing.

If it's only at 9 3, it probably is the tie rod, inner and or outer.

You may want to have someone else do the 9 3 and 12 6 while you watch the lower ball joint. Watch your lower control arm mounting points to the sub frame too. Could be a bushing.

T_ravis
07-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I also did the 12 and 6 and found no play. I pulled the tires off and was unable to find any play other than describe below. I double checked all connections and decide to take it in. This morning the mechanic called and said that everything is tight and looks good. He confirmed hearing the pop and said that he would replace the inner tie rod passenger side. It was replaced 5 months ago with a low end replacement he thought that was probably the culprit. His suggestion was to replace it with AC Delco or the like. Something to do with the joint being synthetic vs. rubber? So this morning I ordered two AC Delco tie rod ends from Rockauto and will swap them out and see. Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

richtazz
07-07-2010, 07:33 AM
sounds like you're on the right track. 9-3 movement only almost always indicates a problem with the steering linkage (rack, inner or outer tie rods).

T_ravis
07-09-2010, 01:52 PM
After replacing both inner Tie Rods and lower control arms the noise is gone. My guess is the noise came from the driver’s side tie rod and control arm. Both of the joints were very loose and had a lot of play in them. Looking back I should have replaced both sides when the passenger side failed 5 months ago. At the time though that is what the mechanic recommended. For what I was charged I could have swapped both myself and not had to have another alignment 6 months later. Thanks for your help.

T_ravis

Add your comment to this topic!