Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Buy New, Buy Used or Lease a Car?

carbuyhelp
06-30-2010, 04:02 PM
I wanna do a sort of poll question for everybody in this forum community.

I wanna know your deepest and most helpful opinion about which one is better and a budget-saver these days, buy a new car, buy a used car or lease one? Then support your vote with reasons why.

I wanna see how many guys agree with each of these options. Thank you.

Ray paulsen
06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
BUY NEW... If you got mega bucks why settle for second best.

BUY USED... for consumers having a slight above average or close to average income, my choice would be used, but the problem here is many of these middle income earners can't or have not got the time to study in this fast paced world we live in to get value for their investment, and will end up with a lemon.

LEASE A CAR... You must FULLY understand the contract when leasing a vehicle.
Whatever terms you agree to and sign, be 100% sure you will want to keep it for
that term and fully understand the fine print. If you went to jail for 3 or 4
years, you would most likely be released early based on good behavior. Not so
with a lease! There is no parole without severely hurting your
pocketbook

Ann lv
07-01-2010, 01:14 AM
In my opinion,Buy New or Used car,It depends on your economic condition,If your current economic condition is good, buy the new car to be quite good, may save troublesome. thank you:shakehead
Unauthorised link removed by moderator

dwyerautofan
07-04-2010, 11:08 PM
I second that, if you have the money, then buy a new car, there are several very good options in the market offering cash rebates at the moment. If you buy an used car, I would strongly suggest you have it checked by a trusted mechanic. However, currently I´m leasing a car and have spent quite some time learning on how leasing really works. In the long run you do end up saving money, you can trade your car for a newer one every couple of years and spend less on fixing your car. I actually found my car ONLINE I hope this helps! Good luck.

<spam link removed by moderator>

ciera
07-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Buying new or leasing.
Used cars are too scary, unless of course if you knew the previous owners

danielsatur
07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
New - Only if credit + driving record is good, otherwise the interest + insurance is going to cost you more than the car.

Lease - Only if credit + driving record + no money down for two years only.
Any other lease you will be stuck paying for new tire's, brakes, and any schedule maintenace you missed.

Used - Pay cash + limited liability, the monies saved could be put to good uses.

makeni
07-22-2011, 11:44 PM
I would probably lease a car because I could be able to try any car that I want with lower monthly payments and there will be less maintenance headaches.

Buying new car sounds good especially I could be able to use it without being worried if it will have previous car problems since I am the first owner. But I don't know if I could afford new car without applying car loans. Buying used car is also nice but I have to know what are the previous car problems and maintenance issue.

ciera
07-23-2011, 06:28 AM
It is also good for those who want to drive a new car every few years.

:biggrin: exactly... and it is really nice when you have a good dealer.. no headaches at all

danielsatur
07-23-2011, 08:28 AM
A new 2-year lease with an Automotive manufactures warrenty is a very good insurance policy.

If the car's a lemon it's there's after 2-years, if not you could always decide to buy it at the end of lease.

I couldn't imagine buying someone elses problem for $10K with over 100K miles on the clock!

danielsatur
07-23-2011, 08:52 AM
You might consider going to Budget rent-a-car, and rent one for a day or two befor signing any 2-year lease.

You can try all the Big 3 cars, and others with no haggle pricing!
The middle of the week is the best pricing for rent-a-car discounts.

Don't forget to check with your Auto insurance.

'97ventureowner
07-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I prefer to buy used. Buying new means you take a big hit in depreciation from the moment you drive it off the lot. Also insurance is higher on a brand new car. Buying used can save you a lot of money and the insurance rates are usually lower. Quality of vehicles has greatly improved over the past 15 to 20 years and if you do some research and check out various online sites you can see reviews and get needed info to make an informed decision. Plus the rise in "mega" used car dealers ( those that specialize in all brands of vehicles as a main business)has helped to keep prices lower due to competition and the supply of used vehicles due to trade ins, the end of leases and other sources keep the supply up.

JamezP
07-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Although leasing offers attractive benefits to automotive consumers, those benefits should be weighed against any disadvantages. You must decide about the importance and priority of these benefits to you. The potential pros of car leasing are lower monthly payments, no down payments, fewer maintenance headaches and you can get more cars and drive a new car every one to four years. While the disadvantages are early termination cost, no ownership equity, excessive mileage charges, and excessive wear and tear charges.

Nytro
08-11-2011, 02:18 AM
New or used cars. Used cars are good enough if at the buying time you check the whole condition of the car and its mileage+last accident report+owner traffic violation record.

joel macneill
08-31-2011, 01:18 PM
I agree with "97ventureowner" when he said depreciation. Your car can take as much as a 15% decrease in value as soon as it rolls off the lot and that is not a well known fact with everyone. Do your research and find a car or truck that has been just returned to a dealerand not cleaned up yet because if you know someone on the inside, they might be able to get you the cost price. And look over many cars until you find the "diamond in the rough" because the first car you see should almost never be the first one you buy. As for leasing, all the people I know said that they literally threw their money away but because it was a new vehicle, there was little trouble with repairs and maintenance and the vehicle was new in every way. All said and done ( in my opinion) used is the way to go if you get a car that was well maintained, serviced, kept clean, and has all the records of prior service and a clear title.

PressKean
08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Hello. In my opinion, leasing a car is definitely out. It's never a good thing to do.

That leaves with buying a new or used car. Well, I personally would take up used car IF you know what you're doing. Checking the car out thoroughly isn't as easy as it sounds. Getting a normal mechanic or technician doesn't help much either. There are things that you need to consider when buying a used car. Would you be willing to take over and start fixing the little things frequently? As most used cars spoils easily(not the entire car), you're going to be going to a mechanic quite frequently for a period of time. However, you'll be able to enjoy the ride once you get most of the things fixed.

A new car however, would just throw you out of worries. Do bare in mind though, like the other replies, that new cars are generally negative investments. You'll be losing resell value as soon as you ride on it and if you're the type that doesn't like sticking to one car, it isn't an option for you. Furthermore, a new car cost lots more than used cars. Are you power crazy? Do you like modifying cars? If you do, I'd suggest getting a used car anytime.

joel macneill
09-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Yes I would go for a Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, or you could go import and try a Civic SI, Integra, SE R Sentra, Corrolla XR S, or a Neon SRT 4, for examples. There are many more that are worthy. If you are looking for a nod car, you should always go with one with better options (ie. twin cam engines, bigger brakes, 4 wheel disc brakes, and 5 or even 6 speed transmissions).

encardvd
09-15-2011, 01:44 AM
buy new

barba
10-17-2011, 10:10 AM
It always depends on the financial status of the buyer, but if you are practical enough, there are lots of used cars that are available in the market that fit in to your standards.

joel macneill
10-17-2011, 01:30 PM
I've always said, that new cars are more set for the wealthy and financially stable.

joel macneill
11-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Well, "victorsaver", In california you have much more variety of good cars to look at but this can be a daunting task due to the sheer multitude of used cars available there. You know that there are more cobalts and sentras in los angeles alone than all of canada for example. In canada where i live, the cars are usually good for about ten to fifteen years unless they are rustproofed which in that case can last almost a lifetime. The salted roads in winter and salt air from the water is extremely corrosive. All i am trying to say is that whatever car you do get, remember, you don't have quarter panels, rocker panels, and floors rusting out and falling through like we do , so make sure your cars are clean title and have not been serviced by monkeys and you are already half way home. Thanks.

bernQ
12-08-2011, 12:07 AM
I do agree with you Barba. I think used cars are not bad. well, you must be good enough in assessing the cars if you're going to buy it and of course you must deal with the right persons. In Georgia, you might like to obtain a used car. There are a lot of places you can do this. The dealerships are tidy and sincere places. They'll offer you a wide selection of vehicles that you can obtain. When there are used vehicles, almost always there is the concern of how they have been taken care of. These dealers clean them up and watch out for troubles for you. You might not even notice that these used automobiles in GA are used. At http://cardealexpert.com/state/GA, you can discover data about used automobiles in GA. It is a great place to discover dealerships.
:rofl::rofl::iceslolan

Add your comment to this topic!