Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard to Start

floresmaxima
06-29-2010, 02:49 PM
I have this 87 toyota pickup 22R and the problem I'm having is that is hard to start. I have to pump the gas pedal and at the same time start the engine so it can start otherwise it won't start. It turns over but won't start. I bought this carburator kit so now I'm in the process of rebuilding the carburator. Now do you think that by doing this it will be O.K or is there anything else I need to do. By the way I don't see any fuel filter at all I check and recheck follow the fuel lines and nothing any idea in how to put one in any help will be appreciated

MagicRat
06-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Usually there is a fuel filter inside the carb itself. Look at the diagrams included in the rebuild kit. It will show where the filter is, usually its where the fuel line goes into the carb.

As for the hard starting..... thats typical of a choke thats stuck open, or not closing when the engine is cold. Usually choke repair parts and filters are not included in a typical rebuild kit. You would need to buy the appropriate parts seperatly.

mikes451
06-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Trucks with a carb have the filter on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel near the frame.

floresmaxima
07-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Thank you guys for the replied but let me tell you this I looked every where for this filter and I ended up putting one in. Now I found this carburator it looked brand new every part in it looked new so I installed in the truck and still does the same thing (hard to start and one's start it feels like it want's to cut off I adjusted the carburator and still does the same thing) by the way carb came from another truck 22R. Any idea on what could be causing this problem, the timing is set at 0 degree btdc is this timing correct any idea thank you.

mikes451
07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Could be the filter I mentioned is plugged up. Also when you set your timing to 0 degrees btdc you need to have the 2 vacuum hoses to distributor plugged to set it right.

Add your comment to this topic!