Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need '89-'92 Corolla expert

killermrob83
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Is it possible to convert a '90 Corolla LE (4dr sedan) with an automatic transmission to a 5spd car. I currently own a '90 LE 5spd vehicle that has spent all of its life in Michigan, so naturally the lower body all around is like cheesecloth or non-existent. I have recently spent the money to completely overhaul the engine. I am also currently searching for a western/southern rust free vehicle of the same year and model, but most everything that I've found that's worth investing in are the automatic transmission equipped vehicles. The clutch pedal on these cars is bolted to the firewall and dash support bracing, so I don't know why it couldn't be swapped over unless the provisions in the body aren't there. What about the motor mounts and transmission mount being the same?(.......probably not the tranny). Did TMC run different production lines for the basic construction of the body/chassis? If I have to go as far as transferring the wiring harness, so be it. I don't care what the console shifter area looks like as long as the shifter is functional.
Once again, thanks for all of your advice/suggestions. Also, my vehicle was manufactured in Japan, so am wondering if I will have to narrow my search down to others cars of the same origin, or if this swap over will work on the cars made in North America.

Add your comment to this topic!