Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission problems...

tthor71
06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I just purchased an automatic 2003 wrangler with about 80,000 miles. After about 2 months of driving it, a suddenly started noticing that when it's switching from 3rd to 4th gear, the transmission it will jump/slip, I'm not exactly sure how to describe, but it's a slight hesitation while the engine revs briefly. It's still drivable and have no other problems with the transmission. Last week, I decided to turn OFF the overdrive to see if that made a difference, and to my surprise, it didn't slip/jump when the overdrive is turned off. I'm not a car guy at all, so I have no idea what this means. But anyone have any ideas what this I should do? any comment would be appreciated.

denisond3
07-05-2010, 08:07 PM
My first advice would be to get the transmission serviced, with a new ATF filters, new pan gasket, and changing the 50% of the trans fluid that comes out when you take the pan off.

fredjacksonsan
07-08-2010, 10:21 AM
My first advice would be to get the transmission serviced, with a new ATF filters, new pan gasket, and changing the 50% of the trans fluid that comes out when you take the pan off.

Yup. Fresh fluid might cure your problem. It's a DIY job to drop the pan, replace the filter and gasket, and replace.

tthor71
07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Well, on Firday I finally was able to change the ATF fluid and filter. Since I didn't have the time, tools or desire to do the job, I decided to let my favorite mechanic do it.

When I drove away from the shop after the work being done, the first time I got up to speed, the problem was still there. However, soon after, I noticed the problem wasn't occuring anymore. All through the weekend not once did I have the problem. In my small brain, I rationalized that it made sense that it occured right after the fluid exchange since the new fluid probably hadn't cylced thru the transmission yet. Does that make sense to you?

I wanna give it a few more days before I call it good, but it appears, to my surprise, that this may have fixed the "problem".

Thanks for all your input!
Now on to saving for new shocks...

denisond3
07-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Maybe it took a few minutes for the new oil to flush away whatever crud or gum was interfering with the activity inside the valve body that takes place during a -shift-. Hopefully it will stay fixed.

But "Not Desiring To Do" the work; to lie under the vehicle, ants or whatever the local annoyance is crawling on your neck, to unbolt the pan and have a few quarts of dirty ATF stream down over your arms, shirt, hair, onto your driveway, etc. Good Grief!!

How can that not be fun???

fredjacksonsan
07-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Well, on Firday I finally was able to change the ATF fluid and filter. Since I didn't have the time, tools or desire to do the job, I decided to let my favorite mechanic do it.

When I drove away from the shop after the work being done, the first time I got up to speed, the problem was still there. However, soon after, I noticed the problem wasn't occuring anymore. All through the weekend not once did I have the problem. In my small brain, I rationalized that it made sense that it occured right after the fluid exchange since the new fluid probably hadn't cylced thru the transmission yet. Does that make sense to you?

I wanna give it a few more days before I call it good, but it appears, to my surprise, that this may have fixed the "problem".

Thanks for all your input!
Now on to saving for new shocks...

There's a guy I know that had bad transmission problems, changed his fluid every couple of months and they eventually went away. So yeah it took awhile for the new fill to circulate.

Every lubricant degrades over time....these trannies like fresh fluid. It's recommended to change it every so often....I drop the pan and refill/new filter every 30k miles.

Add your comment to this topic!