Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What is Engine Trouble code 53?

19k40rocky
06-27-2010, 11:10 PM
My daughter has a 93 Saturn SL2 with a 1.9 DOHC (vin#7) and automatic transmission. She said the Service Engine Soon light came on and when she got home I pulled a #19 and a #53 code from the engine with my code reader. There were no codes stored for the ABS or the transmission. I looked in my Haynes manual and found the explanation for the #19 was said to be either a fault PCM or ignition module. (It starts and runs seemingly fine so I am guessing it is the PCM on that?) However the manual shows no code # 53 for the engine. The code reader flashed it was an "INF FLAG-ESC MAX" along with the #53. I have no idea what this is. Any ideas? All help is much appreciated! thanks!

Cat Fuzz
06-28-2010, 05:08 PM
According to my information, there is no code 53. Link to a list of codes (http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/dtc_chart.html) by a guy that knows Saturns upside down and backwards.

The code 19 is this. (http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/dtc/19.html)

There is less than 1% chance your PCM is bad. Saturn PCM's very, very rarely go bad.

19k40rocky
07-03-2010, 11:11 PM
What does your friend think the problem might be? This 19 code is pretty presistant. I keep clearing the memory and it pops right back about 20 seconds after you start it. Seems to run ok but does crank for a little bit longer than usual I think for it to start. All help is much appreciated!

Cat Fuzz
07-04-2010, 12:12 AM
I can only figure that the code 19 is a bad crank position sensor, bad wiring relating the crank position sensor or a cracked or otherwise damaged tone wheel on the crank itself.

19k40rocky
07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Thought I would post an update on this problem. I did check the crankshaft sensor and it checked out ok. I ended up gritting my teeth and buying a new ignition module and the code 19 stopped popping up and has not shown up for a few weeks now. So I think that must have been it. I have not seen the code 53 since the first time I saw it so that one is still a mystery. Thanks for your time and help on this!

Add your comment to this topic!