Ac

RicanDrummrAne
06-27-2010, 09:21 PM
y is it that every time i turn on the AC on the car, a 1994 accord lx, it shakes too much. like if it had a rough idle. and it also loses acceleration speed. is that normal? its been recently serviced cuz the original one, the clutch burned out. but even then, it still had the problem. :shakehead

cherryelky305
06-28-2010, 01:36 AM
when the ac is turned on it adds a load onto the engine, this slows rpm and reduces horsepower.

on an older car several things can make this transisition harsh. IAC might not be up to the job of returning normal idle, motor mounts could be broken allowing more vibration to be felt.

its an old car regardless of mileage and rubber cracks and splits with time.

RicanDrummrAne
07-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Today it shut off on me while i pulled out of a parking. i had the ac on. is that normal? y does it do it? its not the first time it happened

somick
07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
What is the maintenance history: spark plugs, wires, distributor cap?

RicanDrummrAne
07-07-2010, 02:32 PM
i did a tune up about a year ago on the car. so the wires and spark plugs shouldnt be too bad. the distributor was changed too. the whole thing. had a problem where the car would shut off while driving. but this time its with the AC. it shakes too much, i guess thats wat caused to car to shut off.

cherryelky305
07-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Iac

RicanDrummrAne
09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
so yesterday morning, my windshield fogged up. so i turned on the ac and the defroster. the rpm went to low and the car shut off. the vibration is too much when i turn on the ac. and for like 2 min the car didnt want to turn on. it cranked but nothing. the distributer has been changed, the ignition coil is new. so it cant be that. it has to do something with the AC. the belt is tight too. i checked it. the AC system was serviced earlier in the year. i turned it on once for the defroster and smoke came out of the front end. it ended up being the compressor. so the compressor had been changed. but since then the car reacted the way it is now. when i turn it on. people had told me that is normal and stuff. but i dont believe it. i know something is wrong in there. and i'd like to get it fixed before winter. get more fog ups in the windshield at that time of year.

jeffcoslacker
10-01-2010, 01:17 AM
It's rare but possible the A/C is overcharged or has some other issue (like an orifice or receiver blocked with debris from the fragged compressor)...when line pressure shoots up high, the compressor is loaded up even more than normal.

These little engines suffer a lot of loss of power and idle stability when the A/C works right...if something is wrong with the system, it's going to load up the motor even more, and manifest in ways like what you're seeing. I think I'd have the shop that did the compressor run a check on high/low side pressures to rule out this kind of problem before chasing your tail...

RicanDrummrAne
11-25-2010, 04:29 PM
i took my car to my uncle who's a mechanic and apparently there was no free-on inside the compressor. it was supposed to be charged when my other mechanic installed the compressor after taking the old one out. but my uncle checked it and there was nothing. he asked me to turn on the AC and when i did the car would shut off. im thinking of gettin a new compressor when the summer comes so i can do the whole thing right. my uncle said that he can do it for me. but is that normal? if there is nothing in the compressor, the car shuts off too? and he told me that there's supposed to be a sensor to stop the clutch from kicking in if there is no free-on.

Add your comment to this topic!