Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Rodeo A/C clicking

chapper
06-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Question for everyone... lately when my A/C is on I hear a loud clicking noise coming what I assume is the compressor. My Rodeo has about 120k miles on it and I replaced the serpentine belt at around 80k, but the current belt is showing some cracks etc.... so, what is the likely scenario? Will a new belt help or am I looking at a new compressor? thanks in advance.

5throdeo
07-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Question for everyone... lately when my A/C is on I hear a loud clicking noise coming what I assume is the compressor. My Rodeo has about 120k miles on it and I replaced the serpentine belt at around 80k, but the current belt is showing some cracks etc.... so, what is the likely scenario? Will a new belt help or am I looking at a new compressor? thanks in advance.

The ac compressor has a low and high pressure sensing switches that will turn off the compressor if the pressure is out of range.

The pressure will go up with the outside temp, i would guess your system has too much freon in it, its over charged. if it were me i would take one of the caps off the ac line and release a very little bit of freon and see if it helps.

chapper
03-20-2011, 09:29 PM
All right, now the clicking noise is gone, and the A/C doesn't work now.... my stupid fuel sender unit went bad almost the same day. I replaced the serpentine belt not long after my original post, and that didn't change anything with regards to the clicking noise. I went the rest of the summer with less than ideal air conditioning and now that it is starting to get hot again, it totally goes dead.

I don't think the issue was with being overcharged with freon. Heck, as far as I know the car never got a charge of freon past what it had in it when I bought it used almost 100k miles ago.

The clicking noise was directly related to having the A/C button pushed on. If I turned the A/C off, the noise stopped. Does that mean the compressor or something else. Any advice would be very helpful.... thanks in advance!

brcidd
03-21-2011, 07:49 AM
65% of mobile a/c failures are due to loss of refrigerant..

about 2% are due to overcharged systems

I'd play the percentages.

chapper
03-21-2011, 02:33 PM
65% of mobile a/c failures are due to loss of refrigerant..

about 2% are due to overcharged systems

I'd play the percentages.

OK, I talked to my friend who rebuilds blown engines for fun... he echoed the refrigerant issue and explained to me how there is a sensor that will stop the compressor if refrigerant is too low. We are going to take a look at it this weekend. I will post back.... thanks!!!

chapper
04-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Update: my friend and I looked at it and determined it is the compressor. The system had plenty of refrigerant and we tried everything we could to get that compressor to come on. We bypassed the relay, the pressure switch etc.... nothing worked. It is probably the clutch mechanism that is bad, but it would be wiser to replace the whole compressor with a remanufactured one. Given the need to evacuate and capture the refrigerant, I guess I need to run this by a shop. Stay tuned.

Add your comment to this topic!