Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rotors & Pads - DIY or Meineke?

All2kool
06-26-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm damn handy (and thrifty) when it comes to automotive repair but I'm on the fence whether I want to do the Front Rotors & Pads myself. I have the NEW parts and needed tools and the weather is real nice these days. What is the experience of other LTC owners? Time to DIY? Difficulty factor on a scale of 1-10? Thanks in advance.

All2kool
06-26-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm damn handy (and thrifty) when it comes to automotive repair but I'm on the fence whether I want to do the Front Rotors & Pads myself. I have the NEW parts and needed tools and the weather is real nice these days. What is the experience of other LTC owners? Time to DIY? Difficulty factor on a scale of 1-10? Thanks in advance.

I can't imagine why I would do it when I (now) have quotes as affordable as $40-$50; Craigslist, several vendors.

Blue)(Fusion
06-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Why not do it yourself? Save the money you'd otherwise spend on labor and put it into buying better USA made rotors that won't warp and good pads that are more fade resistant. Flush your brake fluid with fresh DOT 3, while you're at it.

All2kool
06-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Why not do it yourself? Save the money you'd otherwise spend on labor and put it into buying better USA made rotors that won't warp and good pads that are more fade resistant. Flush your brake fluid with fresh DOT 3, while you're at it.

I live in an apartment; they will get dirty, I won't have to lug my tools downstairs to the carport, I won't have to dispose of fluids, etc. Heck, for $40 I'll gladly pay someone.

Blue)(Fusion
06-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Well than in that case go for having someone else do it. I am lucky I have the luxury to go back home and use my parents' garage when I need to wrench on the car.

All2kool
06-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Well than in that case go for having someone else do it. I am lucky I have the luxury to go back home and use my parents' garage when I need to wrench on the car.

I could drive to the son's house and utilize his driveway but I'd spend $10 in gas getting there and back...

Add your comment to this topic!