Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Sport, multiple problems

kelshm
06-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I have my sister's 97 Cherokee Sport for the weekend and thought it might be nice to fix a few issues while she's gone.

First, the driver's power window does not work. We've replaced the motor and the switch but still nothing. All of the other windows work. Any ideas?

Second, the blower motor needs a new resistor. Where is that located?

Third, the serpentine belt squeals horribly. It has been replaced, has good tension etc but still squeals. It is so loud that you can't pinpoint where it's coming from....you go deaf trying! What should I look for?

I hope that you can help!

fredjacksonsan
06-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Driver's window: Check the wiring, especially between the door and the frame, where it flexes each time the door is opened or closed.

Blower motor: sorry, the underdash guy should be here shortly.

Belts:
1st thing I'd check: make sure the new belt is routed correctly....especially if the old one didn't squeal like the new one is - the diagram under the hood should help. Also, make sure that there's nothing dripping on any of the accessories or the belt itself.

2nd: Take the belt off, and while engine's off try to turn each accessory. If there's one that is freezing up, you'll be able to find it right away.

3rd thing would be the automatic tensioner, to make sure it's spring is pushing strongly back to the correct position.

mastertech1964
06-25-2010, 11:57 AM
the resistor is located in the heater box under a small removable shield if you go the passenger floorboard and look forward toward the heater case youll see the shield pull it down after your remove a couple screws and its all right there

mastertech1964
06-25-2010, 11:59 AM
the most common failure ive seen on the belt squeal is the pulley bearing on the ac compresser craps out but mr jackson is correct in how to diagnose which part is failing. another potential problem is these engines had problems with the outer ring of the harmonic balancer walking usually back toward the timing cover and causing alignment issues with the belt and tearing up the timing cover

kelshm
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
I got the resistor changed. Took longer to remove the covers to get to it than it did to actually change the part itself! lol That problem is solved.

I'll check the belt shortly and post a reply as to what I find. I know on my 89 Cherokee that I had to replace the harmonice balancer for just the reason given above.

Going to go check the wiring now.

kelshm
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah the belt squealed just as bad with the old belt as with this one. I'll be doing the suggested check as soon as I finish the wiring check.

kelshm
06-25-2010, 02:02 PM
The switch itself is the problem with the window. The contacts are fried. I pulled it apart as it has power to the switch and based on the schematics, the problem starts there.

Add your comment to this topic!