Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Metro Radiator Question of Compatability

GeoRandy
06-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I pulled my radiator out because it had a pin hole leak that I had fixed with over the counter stop leak stuff. I don't trust it and want to either have local radiator shop rapair and service it or get a new one.

I have a 97 Metro 3 cylinder/1.0 liter with standard 5-speed transmission.

Here is the question. Is the radiator sold for an automatic the same radiator that a standard uses? I've found a good price but the girl on the phone says she thinks they are different. Does anybody know?

Woodie83
06-25-2010, 04:31 AM
I'm pretty sure it mounts the same and will work. The only difference is that an automatic radiator has an oil cooler in it.

GeoRandy
06-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks Woodie. Are there inlet holes for the oil cooler that I'll have to plug?

Johnny Mullet
06-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I got a radiator brand new for my manual and it came with a cooler like an automatic should have. Just pretend it's not there. Rad bolts right in.

syrjr1
06-26-2010, 05:26 AM
Here is a great way to test a radiator for leaks if you need to. Use a bicycle tube. Cut it so the valve stem is in the middle of the tube. Attach the radiator cap and hose clamp the tube ends to the inlet and outlet. Pressurize to test pressure. Usually no more than 16-18 PSI. Soap bubble for leaks.

GeoRandy
06-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Here is a great way to test a radiator for leaks if you need to. Use a bicycle tube. Cut it so the valve stem is in the middle of the tube. Attach the radiator cap and hose clamp the tube ends to the inlet and outlet. Pressurize to test pressure. Usually no more than 16-18 PSI. Soap bubble for leaks.

Now that's smart.

GeoRandy
06-26-2010, 08:45 AM
I now understand that both the M/T and A/T radiators will work for my M/T Metro. Thanks for the fast responses W83, JM, and sry. Installing it today. Cute little thing :)

Add your comment to this topic!