Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix v6 help!

brokenmercy
06-23-2010, 10:27 PM
I am looking at this 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3.1l v6. I wen to look at it and the guy said that the only problem with it was the Intake Manifold Gasket. However, the oil is white. Which leads me to believe that it is the Head Gasket that is out. Is it possible for a bad Intake Manifold to cause moisture access to the oil? I need to know 100% what is wrong with this car before I buy it that way I know how much money I am putting into it. Any advice helps.

Thanks, Lacy

grandprixgtx00
06-23-2010, 10:35 PM
If there's oil in the coolant, might as well just plan on putting a motor in it. How many miles on it, and how much are you going to spend on it? If the body is nice, you can find a decent used 3.1 for pretty cheap

brokenmercy
06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
no i believe there is coolant in the oil. 148k miles. and i was looking at head gasket kits which come with the intake manifold gaskets as well... so like 300 bucks. but the engine is not blown. they quit driving it before it blew.

gonesouth
06-24-2010, 07:51 AM
I need to know 100% what is wrong with this car before I buy it that way I know how much money I am putting into it. Any advice helps.

Thanks, Lacy[/quote]

A few things here. Can you do the labor yourself? If not, that can get very expensive.

Just changing the headgaskets will require a few more items. There is oil and new filter, antifreeze and radiator flush, loctite for the lower manifold bolts, thermostat, throttle body cleaner, maybe a hose or two....could easily be another $100-150.

Right now, you can't check things like the air conditioner. Tires OK? Transmission fluid look/smell OK? Does the present owner have receipts for things like brakes?

I agree with gptx00. I'd look at the cost of the car and the cost to swap for a used 3.1 engine as the final selling price. It's impossible to tell if some coolant ran through the system and ruined a bearing.

It may look like a bargain, but could easily lose it's value once it's running and more problems could be found. I don't want to sound mean, but I'd be cautious about this purchase. It's a lot of miles and not running.

brokenmercy
06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
I went to look at it again today. The tranny fluid looked and smelled fine. I have a friend that is doing all the labor for me. Lucky me :) Well I was planning on just getting a Head Gasket Kit and buying some Head Bolts. Tires look fine. A/c needs recharged. But that does not matter I have lived without A/c in vehicles my entire life. That can come later on down the road. And I apologize I had not looked at the car in about a month and the oil was not white it was chocolate brown.

grandprixgtx00
06-24-2010, 07:19 PM
It's impossible to tell if some coolant ran through the system and ruined a bearing

that was exactly my thought. If I had to take a guess, I'd say its the head gasket. Only way you will really know is to put a pressure checker on and watch for a leak.

brokenmercy
06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
never actually thought of doing that.... Thanks!!!

tblake
06-24-2010, 08:36 PM
If the oil is chocolate milk, usually that points to a blown Lower Intake Manifold Gasket. However if ran too long with the blown LIM gasket, it could overheat and blow the head gaskets. So since you don't know the history of the motor, I'd probably pull the heads, check for warpage, and replace/machine as necessicary.

Can you hear it run?

richtazz
06-25-2010, 07:53 AM
If the oil is more than 1/2 quart over full on oil, then a lot of coolant has gotten into the oil and you could have more serious issues like engine bearings and bad lifters. At minimum, I'm with Tim in that since you don't know the history (and sellers aren't always honest), I'd do the head gaskets while you're in there. No sense doing the intakes and then find out the head gaskets are blown and having to do all that labor again.

brokenmercy
06-26-2010, 10:21 PM
yeah that's what I was planning on doing since the head gasket kit comes with an intake manifold gasket. then they both get replaced. and yes I have heard it run.

Add your comment to this topic!