Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98' sohc i want to go fast

Junebug323
06-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Hey everybody,
I am new to this site and I just hit a wall when it comes down to making a ford run fast. I'm normally a Chevy guy and I know nothing at 4.6L's. Help me please I want to make this vic get out there on the track and kick some tail. Everybody tells me it can't be done that no one offers up grade for these cars and I want to proove them wrong.

Blue)(Fusion
06-24-2010, 06:04 PM
What's your budget? I'm in the works myself to retrofit an '06 Grand Marquis (same car as the Crown Vics) with a forged block, Trick Flow heads, and a supercharger...and long tubes when they get fabricated for the 03+ models.

For starters:

Swap rear gears for 3.55s or 3.73s w/ Trac-Loc (may require computer tune)
Swap nPI intake manifold for PI (2001+) intake manifold (also required for the head and/or cam swap)
Swap nPI cams for PI (2001+) cams (w/o replacing heads)
Swap nPI heads for PI (2001+) heads
Swap nPI heads for Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads (better but more expensive than PI heads)
Install Marauder Airbox and 80mm MAF (requires computer tune)
Install PI Zip Tube
Install Stainless Works longtube headers (They're the only LT headers made specifically for our 92-02 models. They just started making protoypes yesterday and should be available for purchase in 2 weeks.)
Install dual exhaust (if not already equipped with dual exhaust)
J-Mod transmission
Install computer tune

There are pre-made tunes for our cars but do not buy them. They are garbage. The only good tune you can get without going to a dyno shop is from Blue Oval Chips. The tune is installed via a handheld device and is made specific to your vehicle. He will ask you for all the info he needs to make it, and you have some choices to make, as well, such as whether you want to run on 87, 89, 91, or 93 octane fuel which affects the power the engine can make. Even running on 87 octane like you should be doing now with one of his tunes will give you large improvements in driveability with improved shift schedules, spark timing, etc. You can also get new/updated/multiple tunes from him at any time. He just has to email the file to you, you upload it to the handheld device, than flash your ECU whenever you want to change tunes.

If you want even more power on a budget, you can get an extra 100HP or so out of it with a NOS kit. You will have to get new fuel injectors and a fuel pump to support the fuel requirements. You will also need a tune, and possibly a larger MAF to make sure you are making the most power you can and not endangering the engine of going lean.

If you have an unlimited budget or just really don't like your money, you can go blown, but there are no kits made to fit. It will be a custom job to install a supercharger or turbo. Both have been done before. I just met two guys with super charged Panthers (see my pictures link in signature and go to "RIzzo's").

Add your comment to this topic!