Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sorta audio help

Santas90Si
05-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Well I hooked the battery cables up before I hooked it to the starter and it sparked really big. Then I noticed that the cd player wasnt woking. Checked fuses they are good. Then I took the cd player out and jumped it off the battery and I hooked the black and the red to the right post and it wouldnt turn on. So I beat it with a sledge cause it pist me off. Then about three days later I hooked the radar detector up and it was also not working so I took it into my moms car and it worked in there. So that means the circut is dead and I have no idea. Then later that day I realized that the ACC wire prolly needed to be hooked up for the cdplayer to work so I killed it for no reason.
Anyone have any tips on this? I have a voltmeter but have no idea what to check. I am thinking about just running new power wires from the fuse box.

b16a3sol
05-07-2003, 12:18 AM
seems like hitting the cd player with a sledge hammer was a bad idea, whether you thought it was at fault or not. the spark from hooking up the battery should be taken as the reason for electronics not working, especially if they worked beforehand.

i would check all the fuses again and make sure you didnt miss any. from there i would use the voltmeter to figure out how far down the lines you have power. it could be there is only one stretch of wire that got burnt out that needs replacing, rather than all the wires being replaced along the whole stretch.

some advice for the future ... if something pisses you off, dont automatically hit it with a sledge hammer. instead, try and figure out why its not working, then solve the problem.

killah_xft
05-07-2003, 03:55 AM
I second that, I was wiring in the fog lights I just bought for my car, and on mounting the power relay to bolt it to the car, I bolted the plastic relay over the grounds, and when I turned the lights on, and the fogs, they worked, but for some reason when I started the car the wipers would go, I could'nt control the door locks, or the windows, and my left headlight was out, I was getting so frustrated, I ripped all the wire connections I made off, to find if there was a short somewhere, and the relay was the last thing I could think of a day later, saved myself a lot of money. and a lot of agravation, by just backstepping through everything I did. vehicle wiring is so difficult sometimes, because of where you have to get to in the car to check the wiring..

Santas90Si
05-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Well Im not too concerned about the cd player..it was getting weak anways from the amp I used to have. Okay thanks for the help you all.

Add your comment to this topic!