'93 Rodeo - Intermittently working during summer in 90+ temps

zeplein
06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Hello all,

I looked through the forums about an hour tonight, before joining to pose my question. I found people with similar problems but not quite the same.

Anyhow, I have a '93 Isuzu Rodeo 2W LS (Auto) that is having intermittent AC problems during the high summer temps. During the winter or spring I never have a problem. But when the temps during the summer get over 90+ my AC will continue to blow but hot/warm air will come out after running for a while.

I've noticed that turning the the AC off for a bit will allow it come on again, but it will eventually blow warm air again.

Anyone ever run into this problem or know what might be going on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Zeplein

Cat Fuzz
06-22-2010, 11:47 PM
You probably have moisture is the system. You'll need to have a shop do the repairs as it requires very specialized tools. They will need to evacuate the system, pull a vacuum and replace the refrigerant and add compressor oil.

The moisture is the system accumulates around the orifice tube and freezes up, blocking the system. It eventually melts and then the a/c starts working again until freeze-up. It's a cycle.

zeplein
06-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Well, although you may be right, this is something I drive back and forth to Richardson, TX just to go to work (about a 55 miles there and back)...not my daily driver. So if it's something that is going to cost me more than 150 bucks, I think I'd rather throw it away and find something a little newer already.

Is there nothing I can easily check or might be a cheap replacement that can be tried first?

Cat Fuzz
06-23-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm always amazed at how people would rather pay a lot more money to get a newer car than just spend the money and fix the one they have. The newer car is going to cost you just as much money, if not more.

Simply having the system evacuated and recharged isn't that big a deal to a shop that has the equipment. I don't know how it would cost but you could call a few shops and ask.

zeplein
06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Your amazement is no surprise to me as I just stated one problem that I was having. Working on truck that would probably net me 600 - 700 dollars if I sold it is reasonable as long as long as the percentage you put into is worth it.

The other problems I've been having with the truck are oil linking, that ticking noise, engine sounds like a jet, tranmission getting stuck periodically...

All this even after I replaced the the block and rebuilt the engine a few years back.

It has got me through some times but I think it's about time too retire it rather than put more money into it.

Your advice is appreciated, but again I was just hoping that there was something expensive I could do to get this AC problem fixed until the lady gives out.

Just sounds like it should be something little since it only happens during the summer (the last 3 in fact) in 90+ temps and works fine the rest of the year.

5throdeo
07-14-2010, 06:21 PM
The posters that want you recharge your ac system are correct.

What is happening is the ac system has high pressure and low pressure switches that will turn off your compressor if the pressures get out of range. it sounds like your pressure is getting too high because the pressure increases as the outside air increases.

The high pressure side should measure 2-2 1/2 times the outside temp.

Try taking a cap off the ac line and let a very little bit of freon out ( like letting air out of a tire ).This will reduce the high side pressure. May help until you can get it fixed correctly.

zeplein
07-14-2010, 07:48 PM
I was just coming back from the gym and it happened there and back. On the way back I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas about the situation and low and behold your post was waiting on me.

I will sure give it a try and thanks for the reply.

Add your comment to this topic!