Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Overheating after doing LIM gasket change

nosaj1033
06-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I have a 95' Monte Carlo with 3.1 L engine. We experience what so many others with this engine have..A blown LIM Gasket leading to coolant mixing with the oil in the engine case. So I decided to do the job myself with the felpro gasket fix and I even changed out the oil pump shaft o-ring, thermostat, plugs, and valve cover gaskets. Everything went well, the gaskets are holding up, no leaks, and the oil looks clean (not milky). So I decided to test drive it and every thing was going good until after getting on the freeway the temperature spiked. I pulled over and had a look and saw that the heater hose coupler which is attached to the LIM (near thermostat housing) was snapped right at the LIM/coupler junction. In other words, the coupler threads are still in the LIM case. The coupler looked bad but I decided not to replace it as it was working fine before. Is this "break" the cause of the over heating? I did flush the coolant as well as did an oil change prior to starting the car up but I didn't bleed any air out. The coolant reservoir is full and not being drawn back into the radiator and it bubbles after overheating with the car off. How can I fix this temporarily? I had to abandon my vehicle at a 24 hr restaurant in hopes that it wouldn't get towed over night. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. BTW, I just ordered the Lisle heater hose coupler removal tool to fix this problem.

hinton08
06-25-2010, 04:31 PM
you first need to bleed all the air out of the system. these engines are especially hard to get all the air out and if you dont get the majority out, yes it will overheat.

Add your comment to this topic!