Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cruise control

pgm99
06-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a 98 Silhouette, everything is great with it except the cruise control isn't working. Fuse is fine. Can anyone tell me where the unit is located, how much trouble is it to get to, and how difficult is it to replace? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

H

merc81
06-21-2010, 12:07 PM
The module is located just above the fender well on the driver's side. Its close to the hinge for the hood. It may be the easiest thing in the engine compartment to get to.
Just some tips you may not know;

I thought my cruise module was bad when I first got the van. I even took the module out and ran through the diagnostic steps on the shop manual. It turns out I didn't know how to use the cruise control--it worked very differently from my other GM cars.

You have to press and hold the button on the end (which is decelerate) of the switch, then, after about 1 sec, let go and press the accelerate button a few times until it takes over.
This, of course, after you have turned cruise on with the switch. Also, if the service brake warning lamp is on, the cruise won't work. The brake warning light can come on due to a grounding problem in the taillights--it may be very dim so you don't notice it, but it will keep the cruise from working.
Just a couple points to ponder. . .

roadrunner2
06-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a 98 Silhouette, everything is great with it except the cruise control isn't working. Fuse is fine. Can anyone tell me where the unit is located, how much trouble is it to get to, and how difficult is it to replace? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

H

Cruise control switch is in the multi-function switch. (turn signal stalk)

I've never had to repair or replace on though. My van was a 2000, so, same thing.

Add your comment to this topic!