Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Magnasteer II Question

mlasnoski
06-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey There,

I am new to posting on this forum. I have read through a lot of the posts to look over things and as to not re-post something that may have been down the line. Anyways my question is in regards to the Magnasteer II system.

I recently purchased a:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G with 97,000k miles. If you saw it, you'd never guess it had 97k. The previous owners took immaculate care of the car.

My question is about the Magnasteer II system. Am I suppose to get a vibrating noise from the rack and pinion when I'm shifting out of reverse? Like maybe the magnets are re-setting themselves? I think sometimes I notice it as I'm shifting into drive it makes the resetting vibrating click noise, but definitely more so out of reverse. I feel it in the steering wheel.

The car is going into the shop tomorrow to get the valve cover gaskets replaced. Thank God that the Intake Manifold was done a few days prior to picking up the car. I am having them look over all of the front end. I do believe my left driver side CV joint is going to crap, it makes a click click noise every time you crank the steering wheel, even at a stand still.

How is one suppose to know if the rack and pinion is going to garbage?

Other than that weird noise it drives and runs great!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Mike L.

tblake
06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Good purchase, are you sure its not the ABS/TRAC system self test?

mlasnoski
06-17-2010, 11:32 PM
I suppose it could be that. It would explain the sort of like ABS noise you'd hear if the ABS system was being engaged. :) Good call, I bet that's all it is.

Aside from that probably being the answer.

Could anyone tell me how I would know if a rack and pinion would be going bad? Would the car just drive incredibly bad?

Thank you for speedy reply (answer).

tblake
06-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Rack and pinions can fail all sorts of different ways. YThe most common failure is fluid leaks out the seals. Otherwise you can steer smooth one way, and the other way it binds, and eventually both ways go.

tblake
06-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Go here to see if your issue is the ABS/TRAC system self test. I realize this car is a 97 and yours is an 04, but they should behave the same as far as I know.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=6393442&postcount=40

Add your comment to this topic!