Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Broken door handle guts on '01....

dylanborns
06-17-2010, 12:07 PM
My question is on my '01 Escape. I've had on-going problems with both door locks. The first issue was the drivers side wouldn't unlock. I took it to my mechanic, and around $30 later, I had a working handle. According to him, it was a small plastic piece on the guts that broke, making the handle useless. About 6 months ago, same problem but with the pass. side handle. I took the door apart, and its a small plastic part that broke, again the handle was useless. I fixed it with a piece of wire, and started looking on the net for replacement parts, but can't find anyone selling those. Now yesterday, the rear hatch handle stopped working also; neither the door or window will open. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find the parts for the inner guts of the locks? This isn't the actual handle, or an electrical problem, its a very small piece of plastic thats breaking.
I would take it back to my mechanic, but with my schedule, its very hard to get a day where I can drop the car off for the whole day.

I just called the local dealership and they are charging $45 for this small plastic part. He called in a handle reinforcement part that connects the handle to the inner workings. Any idea where I can get this part for what its actually worth, and not dealership prices???

Add your comment to this topic!